Can a 17-Year-Old Pioneer Cold Fusion Breakthroughs?

• Thread starter xoxowithlove
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cold Fusion
In summary: That's a bit of a leap to make. It's possible that quantum tunneling could be used to make cold fusion more self-sustainable, but it's not a necessary step in order to achieve it.
xoxowithlove
Most of us have heard about it. Some of us know a little about it. Little understand it.

I am a 17 year old student, competant in the science and maths, (not to toot my own horn, but it is my best area)

Is there a physician (no? physicist (damn that word doesn't look right, oh well, you guys get what I mean)) that can please enlighten me [us] on the subject?

As I believe anything is possible, I think the theory and practice of cold fusion is possible, and can seriously do a lot of things for humanity.

Furthermore, I really want to be apart of the movement in uncovering this field of physics. (If fate allows I want to lead the movement of this field, lolz,, yup yup You can call me a 'dreamer'), as I am going into tertiary study next year, I want to know if there is any courses I should be looking into? Any things I should be researching? Any help at all! :P

I believe anything is possible if one starts at a young enough age :D. Look out world here I come (okay now I just sound crazy, lolz.)

Peace!
xoxowithlove.
Darian.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good to have dreams, even better to base them on solid physics. While that's not the most reliable source, you may start reading wikipedia articles - start with the nuclear fusion, it contains links to other articles of interest, including famous cold fusion experiment by Fleischmann and Pons. Note that it is rather negative fame.

Thank you for the reply! :D, lots of help hehe.

Yeah I mean I have read some things on these pages, but I thought I might soon start reading actual published journels and things. hehe. We'll see ! :D

Nice Green Radiant hair by the way. Lolz.

Hm, cold fusion. I don't want to depress you, but the Fleischmann and Pons fiasco basically killed the field. There are very few credible academics seriously pursuing it, and the ones who do (e.g., Peter Hagelstein at MIT) are very much the dark horses.

Lol, well I think i will write these Peter Hagelstein at MIT a letter! :P hehe.

What do you mean by killed it? Like, they exhausted every possible path to acheiving cold fusion? With no plausible results? :( Dead ends?

There must be other ways?

xoxowithlove said:
What do you mean by killed it? Like, they exhausted every possible path to acheiving cold fusion? With no plausible results? :( Dead ends?

Read the cold fusion article on wikipedia. Basically their results were unreproducible. Perhaps they didn't intentionally forged the results, but the net effect was that cold fusion became crackpottery.

xoxowithlove said:
Lol, well I think i will write these Peter Hagelstein at MIT a letter! :P hehe.

There must be other ways?

Imagination without knowledge is ignorance waiting to happen.

If you do not learn about the history of such a thing, you are bound to repeat the mistakes.

If you do not understand the physics involved, you are going to make a bunch of nonsensical statements (and I think you already have).

Just simply saying it is "possible" doesn't make it happen. It is POSSIBLE for you to spontaneously disappear into thin air. There's nothing in physics that says it can't happen. But should you base an entire physics and technology on something that either isn't likely to occur, or would take a time scale of the age of the universe to occur?

This forum is filled with professionals in many areas, including physics. It is a valuable place to be if you want to learn. But learning means starting from the basics and learning how to crawl before you walk and before you run. This is why we have the PF Guidelines stated the way it is. You can't come up with ideas about "cold fusion" and what was wrong with it without understanding the physics involved with fusion. And to be able to do that, you have to understand basic physics first.

Zz.

Quantum-tunneling, which is the proposed mechanism behind the so-called cold-fusion effect is, in itself, not a problem.

Rather, the problem exits that this effect is not self-sustainable under that configuration.

Last edited:
Is this true? I know I'm skipping years and years of research and hard work and complicities, but if Quatum tunneling is made 'sustainable' we can use it to achieve cold fusion? Or be one step closer to acheiving it?

Related to Can a 17-Year-Old Pioneer Cold Fusion Breakthroughs?

1. What is cold fusion?

Cold fusion is a proposed type of nuclear reaction that occurs at or near room temperature. It involves the fusion of atomic nuclei to form a heavier nucleus, releasing a large amount of energy in the process. Unlike traditional fusion reactions, which require extremely high temperatures and pressures, cold fusion suggests that this process can occur at much lower temperatures and can potentially be harnessed for energy production.

2. How did a 17-year-old get involved in exploring cold fusion?

The 17-year-old in question, named Taylor Wilson, became interested in nuclear science and fusion reactions at a young age and began conducting his own experiments in his parents' garage. Through dedication and persistence, he was able to gain recognition and support from the scientific community, leading to his involvement in exploring cold fusion.

3. What challenges did the 17-year-old face during his journey to explore cold fusion?

One of the main challenges faced by the 17-year-old was gaining credibility and support from the scientific community. Many scientists were skeptical of his work due to his young age and lack of formal training. He also faced challenges in obtaining the necessary resources and equipment for his experiments.

4. Has cold fusion been proven to be a viable source of energy?

No, cold fusion has not been proven to be a viable source of energy. While there have been some promising results in experiments, there is still much debate and controversy surrounding the concept. Many scientists remain skeptical and further research is needed to fully understand and harness the potential of cold fusion.

5. What is the current state of research on cold fusion?

Research on cold fusion is ongoing, but it is not as prominent as other areas of nuclear research. There are still many unanswered questions and challenges to overcome before it can be considered a viable source of energy. However, there are still scientists and researchers actively exploring the potential of cold fusion and making progress in understanding this phenomenon.