My Theoretical Fusion Reactor- Looking For Feedback

In summary, the 16-year-old GCSE student from the UK plans to build a deuterium reactor this Summer, and is seeking help from experienced physicists to determine the viability of his idea. He has two ideas for how to generate high voltages needed for the reactor, but one of them relies on sparks being created by microwaves. He is also concerned about the possible health risks involved in his project, but is determined to continue with it anyway.
Joshua McAnaney
Ok, so before I begin, I'd like to point out that I'm a 16-year-old GCSE student from the UK. Therefore all of my physics knowledge above high school level is self-taught, so I am by no means an expert.

Anyway, I plan on building a deuterium reactor this Summer as a personal project, and I've been going over some various ideas. But I still need some help from experienced physicists to determine the viability of my idea.

Now, most of you are probably familiar with the Farnsworth-Hirsch Fusor. Only their original design did not actually do any fusion. In short, I plan on building a Farnsworth Fusor, only with deuterium thrown into the mix.

In order to generate the high voltages needed, I have a few ideas. My first idea is to use a transformer to step-up 240V mains to a minimum of 20kV, ideally higher, while also slashing the current to around 30mA. That way, if I do manage to electrocute myself, it should just be a "fun experience", rather than a lethal one. Of course, this still won't be ideal for fusion, so I'll add a bridge rectifier to convert the AC to DC, giving it more concentrated power.

My other idea arose yesterday, when I put metal into my microwave (not entirely intentionally, although I did just sit there and watch after I noticed my mistake, mesmerised by the sparks). I put a bowl with a silver rim into the microwave, and sparks were created. This got me thinking about how can sparks appear when the ring is continuous (i.e. they are not actually arcing from one surface to another, but rather are appearing on a single, continuous surface). I concluded that the energy from the microwaves must be giving the electrons in the air enough energy to jump to the bowl (or vice versa), although I'm still not entirely sure. Can anyone help me with this? My reason for asking is that I'm considering the viability of using microwaves to create the voltages, but this will not be possible (or at least directly) if my idea about electrons in the air is correct.

That's because the reactor will be an inertial reactor, and will have to be held in a vacuum to work. So without any air present, the microwaves will not be able to create these sparks (again, if my theory is correct). To remedy this, I was thinking that I could simply add in some high-resistance wire, run a current through it, and then this would free electrons in the air, which could arc to the metal. With enough energy, successful collisions from the inertial force, and a tank of deuterium, I believe that this could fuse the nuclei. Please do bear in mind that I'm not talking about a microwave oven, I'm thinking of something much more powerful.

And to any of you who think this could be a serious health risk, I agree entirely, but what's the fun without a little danger? Thank you in advance to anyone who can shed some light on the subject! :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry, we do not discuss dangerous activities here on the PF. Thread is closed.

Hi there! It's great to see young people like you taking an interest in physics and experimenting with new ideas. However, I have to say that building a deuterium reactor as a personal project is not something to be taken lightly.

First of all, I highly recommend seeking guidance from experienced physicists or professionals in this field before proceeding with your project. Fusion reactions can be extremely dangerous and should not be attempted without proper knowledge and safety precautions in place.

Regarding your idea of using a Farnsworth-Fusor with deuterium, it is important to note that the original design did not achieve fusion because it lacked the necessary conditions for sustained fusion reactions. Simply adding deuterium to the mix will not guarantee success.

As for your ideas for generating high voltages, I would caution against using a transformer to step up mains voltage. This can be very dangerous and could result in serious injury or even death. I also do not recommend using microwaves to create the necessary voltages for fusion. Microwaves are not designed for this purpose and can be extremely hazardous when used in this manner.

Furthermore, creating a vacuum for your inertial reactor is no easy task and requires specialized equipment and knowledge. It is not something that can be done with just high-resistance wire and a current.

I understand your enthusiasm for this project, but please keep in mind the potential dangers involved. I urge you to seek guidance from professionals or experienced physicists before proceeding any further. Good luck!

What is a theoretical fusion reactor?

A theoretical fusion reactor is a device that uses nuclear fusion to generate energy. It involves combining two or more atomic nuclei to form a heavier nucleus, resulting in the release of large amounts of energy.

How does a theoretical fusion reactor work?

A fusion reactor works by using a combination of high temperatures and pressures to force atomic nuclei together, causing them to fuse and release energy. This energy can then be used to generate electricity.

What are the potential benefits of a theoretical fusion reactor?

The potential benefits of a theoretical fusion reactor include a nearly unlimited supply of clean energy, as fusion does not produce greenhouse gases or long-lived radioactive waste. It also uses abundantly available fuel sources, such as hydrogen isotopes found in seawater.

What are the main challenges in developing a theoretical fusion reactor?

The main challenges in developing a theoretical fusion reactor include creating and sustaining the extreme temperatures and pressures needed for fusion to occur, as well as finding materials that can withstand these conditions. Additionally, controlling the fusion reaction and dealing with the radioactive byproducts pose significant challenges.

When can we expect to see a practical application of a theoretical fusion reactor?

While progress has been made in fusion research, a practical application of a theoretical fusion reactor is still likely decades away. There are many technological and scientific hurdles that need to be overcome before a functioning fusion reactor can be developed and implemented on a large scale.