Exploring Classical Dance & Hip Swinging Moves

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classical
In summary: It was a lot of fun!A few years back my wife and I took lessons for ballroom dancing. We used to go to dances a lot, but the place we liked to go moved to a different location and we stopped going. We liked swing the best and we still dance when the occasion arises like at weddings and bar-mitzvahs.I took a belly dancing class. It was a lot of fun!And probably a lot more entertaining than my efforts to dance with my baby-sitters. Got any tapes? My experiences were quite a bit before the fad-dances that came and went seemingly within a week or two in the mid-to late 60's. The dances were standard and predictable
I like a lot of groovy, bass-driven music, so it's maybe strange that I don't really dance, but it's all just a bit awkward and unco :P I do listen to music almost all day everyday though, and I tend to wobble around and generally have a good time, I just can't string any steps together.

I'd love to swing dance, it's amazing to watch!

Physics news on Phys.org
Dancing season is here. Days are getting shorter; nights are getting longer. Polish up them dancing shoes and let's go dancing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I dance? You betcha! :biggrin: I had ten years of dance classes, starting when I was five years old. My mom enrolled me in ballet, hula, and tap. Later on I took belly dancing and still today when I hit the gym there is a dance class that I’ll jump into. If there is live music at a club or party then you can bet I’ll be the last one off the dance floor.:biggrin: My max is 3 hours straight. Sometimes my hair is dripping wet and my feet ache like hell. Don’t ask my age cause I won’t tell. Let me just say that I put the young ones to shame.:biggrin: Rhythm and music go hand in hand. Can’t sit still when you hear great tunes!

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
I used to breakdance in high school. Now my back and legs are so tight I can barely do a cartwheel.

Don't we have a video of you and a group doing dance to Thriller? That was pretty good. And about that time of the year. :smile:

Greg, I'd love to see that video of you dancing! A sweet Halloween treat would be extra special. :biggrin:

Halloween is a fun time of the year around my neighborhood. I get close to two hundred kids hitting me up for candy. I've already decorated my front lawn and porch with all kinds of stuff. It's a fun time to be outdoors. Hope it doesn't rain cats and dogs. (lol)

Last edited:
Square, ballroom, and can do some pretty nifty fifties stepping.

Nope. I do think knowing how to dance, the fancy formal kind, could turn in handy eventually, though.