Exploring Center of Mass in Physics

In summary, the concept of center of mass is relevant in the study of statics and dynamics, such as in calculating torque and momentum. It is not commonly used in describing subatomic interactions involving electricity or magnetism. It is also important in studying elastic collisions and conservation of momentum and angular momentum.
shirel
Hi!

I'm very curious to know how the Center of mass, that I know from Math is relevant for the physics' subjects.

I know already how it affects stars, but I'm interested to know how it is being used in electricity, magnetism, mechanics and other stuff on EARTH :-p

Therefore, I refer to 3D shapes and not 2D.

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_mass"

Last edited by a moderator:
Center of mass isn't generally used for subatomic interactions describing electricity or magnetism. electrons or fields are the common description vehicles.

Center of mass is widely used in the study of statics and dynamics, for example rotating bodies or forces exerted by beams. If you know the center of mass of a steel beam for example, usually the venter of it's length it becomes very easy to calculate it's torque (twist) about some fixed point...Torque = weight (at the center of mass) times the distance ( from the center of mass to the point at which torque is measured)...

Thank you both very much!
I'm still waiting for more ideas :)

When ideal bodies interact, say a pair of billard balls, the momentum of the balls combined center of mass before they collide equals that after the collision...

A related reaction is FT =MV..force applied x time equals mass x velocity...

Try Wikipedia for things like conservation of momentum, of angular momentum, elastic collisions...also search statics or static forces...

Ohh I liked this idea, thanks :)

Related to Exploring Center of Mass in Physics

1. What is the center of mass in physics?

The center of mass is a point in a system or object where the mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It is the point where the object can be balanced.

2. Why is exploring center of mass important in physics?

Exploring center of mass is important in physics because it helps us understand the motion and stability of objects. It also allows us to predict how objects will behave in certain situations, such as collisions or rotations.

3. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the individual particles in a system. This is done by multiplying the mass of each particle by its position and dividing by the total mass of the system.

4. How does the center of mass affect rotational motion?

The center of mass plays a crucial role in rotational motion. The torque applied to an object is directly related to the distance between the point of rotation and the center of mass. The closer the center of mass is to the point of rotation, the less torque is needed to rotate the object.

5. Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of an object. This is often the case in asymmetrical objects or objects with varying densities. The center of mass is still a useful concept in these situations, as it provides a point of reference for analyzing the motion and stability of the object.