Exploring Canonical Transformations

In summary, the canonical transformation is one in which the Poisson brackets are canonical. It is a local symplectomorphism, and can be found by solving for the generating function.
M. next
I have posted before this, an example in which I struggled through.
Now am gnna ask something more general, for me and for the students who suffer from studying a material alone.

If you were asked to prove that the time-independent transformation P=.. and Q=.. is canonical. And finding the generating function.
There are two methods as I know so far.
1) By applying pdq-PdQ=dF
2) By using [itex]\partial[/itex]F/[itex]\partial[/itex]q=p - [itex]\partial[/itex]F/[itex]\partial[/itex]Q=-P

(in accordance to what we are asked for: F(q,Q) F(q,P) ...)

My questions are:
In 1) What should we be aware of, Can we face a problem in concluding the F at the end?
In 2) What are the steps! One by one? Why do I see in some problems that after partial differentiation at the beginning they try to manipulate coordinates, instead of q, Q - instead of p, q or so on.. (am not being specific). Why? On what basis?

Do me this favor, please - Is canonical transformation this hard? Or is it steps that should be followed?

Best Regards,

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have the transformation given in explicit form

[tex]q=q(Q,P), \quad p=p(Q,P),[/tex]

the most simple way to prove that this is a canonical transformation (local symplectomorphism) is to show that the Poisson brackets are the canonical ones, i.e.,

[tex][q,p]=1,[/tex]

where the Poisson bracket is defined by the partial derivatives wrt. [itex]Q[/itex] and [itex]P[/itex].

If you want to find the generating function in its original form, i.e., as a function

[tex]F=F(q,Q)[/tex]

you just solve for

[tex]p=\frac{\partial F}{\partial q}, \quad P=-\frac{\partial F}{\partial Q}.[/tex]

It works everytime? And what concerning the methods I mentioned? You mentioned a new method I suppose [q,p]=1, right? Shed lights on my methods please.
And I want your opinion about canonical transformations? Difficult? What..?

Yes and what if I want in your general example, F(q,P)?

Your methods 1) and 2) are fine, but as I said, if you have the transformation given explicitly, to check whether it's canonical you should check the integrability conditions in terms of the Poisson brackets.

Of course, you can write the generating function with any pair of old and new phase-space coordinates you like. The original form is that where you use [itex]q[/itex] and [itex]Q[/itex]. If you want, e.g., [itex]q[/itex] and [itex]P[/itex], you make the appropriate Legendre transformation, i.e., you set

[tex]F(q,Q)=g(q,P)-Q P,[/tex]

because then you get

[tex]\mathrm{d} q \partial_q F+\mathrm{d} Q \partial_Q F=\mathrm{d} q \partial_q g+(\partial_P g-Q)\mathrm{d P}-P \mathrm{d} Q.[/tex]

Comparison of the left- and right-hand side of this equation yields\

[tex]p=\partial_q F=\partial_q g, \quad P=-\partial_Q F, \quad Q=\partial_P g.[/tex]

Canonical transformations are not so difficult, but one has to get used to the concepts about them. A good source is Landau/Lifschitz Vol. 1.

Thanks, I have the book, it is a very good book, but kind of condensed. Thanks again.

Related to Exploring Canonical Transformations

1. What is a canonical transformation?

A canonical transformation is a mathematical tool used in classical mechanics to transform coordinates and momenta of a system while preserving the underlying physical laws and equations of motion. It is often used to simplify complex systems or to find new sets of variables that make a problem easier to solve.

2. How is a canonical transformation different from a coordinate transformation?

A canonical transformation differs from a simple coordinate transformation in that it also transforms the momenta of a system in addition to the coordinates. This ensures that the transformation preserves the Hamiltonian of the system, which is a key requirement for maintaining the underlying physical laws.

3. What are the types of canonical transformations?

There are two types of canonical transformations: point transformations and generating transformations. Point transformations involve a direct transformation of the coordinates and momenta, while generating transformations involve the use of a generating function to derive the transformed coordinates and momenta.

4. How are canonical transformations related to symmetries in a system?

Canonical transformations have a close relationship with symmetries in a system. In fact, symmetries are often used to identify the canonical transformations that leave the Hamiltonian invariant. This can provide insight into the underlying physical principles and conserved quantities of a system.

5. What is the importance of canonical transformations in classical mechanics?

Canonical transformations are an essential tool in classical mechanics as they allow for the simplification of complex systems and the identification of conserved quantities. They also play a crucial role in the formulation of Hamilton's equations of motion, which are used to describe the evolution of a system over time.