Question about canonical transformation

In summary, a canonical transformation is a mathematical transformation that preserves the canonical form of a system's equations of motion while changing the variables used to describe the system. It differs from a simple change of coordinates in that it also changes the equations of motion and preserves important quantities. To determine if a transformation is canonical, certain conditions must be met and can be checked using mathematical tools. The benefits of using a canonical transformation include simplifying equations of motion, revealing hidden symmetries and conserved quantities, and providing a better understanding of a physical system's structure. While a canonical transformation can theoretically be applied to any physical system described by Hamiltonian dynamics, it may be challenging to find and may introduce new complexities in solving equations of motion.
mjordan2nd
I was going through my professor's notes about Canonical transformations. He states that a canonical transformation from (q, p) to (Q, P) is one that if which the original coordinates obey Hamilton's canonical equations than so do the transformed coordinates, albeit for a different Hamiltonian. He then considers, as an example the Hamiltonian

[tex]H=\frac{1}{2}p^2,[/tex]

with a transformation

[tex]Q = q,[/tex]
[tex]P = \sqrt{p} - \sqrt{q}.[/tex]

The notes state that "this transformation is locally canonoid with respect to H," and that in the transformed coordinates the new Hamiltonian is

[tex] K = \frac{1}{3} \left( P + \sqrt{Q} \right)^3.[/tex]

I don't understand how we know that this is locally canonical, or what it really even means to be locally canonical. Also, where do we get K from. Since the inverse transformation would be

[tex]q=Q[/tex]
[tex]p=\left( P + \sqrt{Q} \right)^2[/tex]

why isn't the new Hamiltonian

[tex]K= \frac{1}{2} \left(P + \sqrt{Q} \right)^4,[/tex]

where all I've done is plug the inverted transformation into the original Hamiltonian. I'm a bit confused by all this. Would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
To say that the transformation is "locally canonical" with respect to H means that it preserves the canonical structure of the system, i.e. the Poisson brackets between the original coordinates q and p are preserved in the transformed coordinates Q and P. This property ensures that the equations of motion in the new coordinates are still Hamilton's equations, and therefore that the new Hamiltonian K is a valid one. The reason why the new Hamiltonian takes the form you have shown is that this is the most general form of the Hamiltonian compatible with the transformation given. We can determine this by noting that the transformation can be written asP = f(q,p)where f is some function of q and p. The new Hamiltonian K must then be a function of just Q and P, i.e.K = g(Q,P)Substituting in the expression for P, we getK = g(Q,f(q,p))Expanding this out, we getK = g(Q,f(Q,P + \sqrt{Q}))Since f is some arbitrary function, the most general form of K compatible with this transformation isK = g(Q,P + \sqrt{Q})Plugging in the expression for the original Hamiltonian H, we getK = \frac{1}{2} \left(P + \sqrt{Q} \right)^2Finally, since the transformation is canonical, we know that K must be a homogeneous function of degree two, i.e.K = \frac{1}{3} \left(P + \sqrt{Q} \right)^3Hope this helps.

Related to Question about canonical transformation

1. What is a canonical transformation?

A canonical transformation is a mathematical transformation that preserves the canonical form of a system's equations of motion, while changing the variables used to describe the system. It is often used in classical mechanics and in Hamiltonian dynamics to simplify the equations of motion and find new conserved quantities.

2. What is the difference between a canonical transformation and a simple change of coordinates?

A simple change of coordinates only changes the way we represent a system, while a canonical transformation also changes the equations of motion and preserves important quantities such as the Hamiltonian and the symplectic structure.

3. How do you know if a transformation is canonical?

A transformation is canonical if it satisfies certain conditions, such as preserving the Poisson brackets of the system's variables and being generated by a special type of function called a generating function. These conditions can be checked using mathematical tools such as the Liouville's theorem or Hamilton's equations.

4. What are the benefits of using a canonical transformation?

Using a canonical transformation can simplify the equations of motion of a system and make them easier to solve. It can also reveal hidden symmetries and conserved quantities that were not apparent in the original coordinates. Additionally, it can provide a better understanding of the underlying structure of a physical system.

5. Can a canonical transformation be applied to any physical system?

Yes, in principle, a canonical transformation can be applied to any physical system described by Hamiltonian dynamics. However, finding a canonical transformation for a particular system can be a challenging task and may not always be possible. In some cases, it may also introduce new complexities or difficulties in solving the equations of motion.