Exploring Brownian Motion: Books to Help Understand Statistical Mechanics

In summary, the conversation is about finding books that explain Brownian motion in detail. Some suggestions are Lemons (introductory), Reichl (more advanced), and Michael Plischke, Birger Bergersen (covers a chapter on stochastic processes). The person also mentions wanting to find material on random walks with reflection and absorption.
WiFO215
I am quite well versed with the random walk problem and am interested in finding out more about Brownian motion. Does anyone have any suggestions for books that explain Brownian motion in detail? I suspect these will be books on statistical mechanics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
xepma said:
I'm not too familiar with this field (at all actually), but some books that seem to get reasonable reviews are:

Lemons (introductory):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/080186867X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Reichl (more advanced, but not that well-written)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/3527407820/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Michael Plischke, Birger Bergersen (Reasonable book; has a chapter on stochastic processes, but covers a lot more than that)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/9812561552/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Cheers.

Lemons is along the lines of what I was looking for. Thank you so much Xepma!

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay. I have nearly devoured Lemons. I would now like to know if there is some reading material on random walks with reflection and absorption. Googling seems to turn up very advanced texts and there aren't any topics here on PF.

I have tried reading from a book called Probability by William Feller, but I would like something a little less rigorous for now due to won't of time. If anyone has any material about the random walk problem with reflection and absorption, could you please tell me?

Related to Exploring Brownian Motion: Books to Help Understand Statistical Mechanics

1. What is Brownian motion?

Brownian motion is the random movement of particles suspended in a fluid, caused by collisions with molecules in the fluid. It was first observed by botanist Robert Brown in 1827 and has since been studied extensively in the field of statistical mechanics.

2. Why is understanding statistical mechanics important?

Statistical mechanics helps us understand the behavior of systems made up of a large number of particles, such as gases, liquids, and solids. It provides a framework for predicting and explaining macroscopic properties from the microscopic behavior of individual particles.

3. What are some books that can help me understand statistical mechanics?

Some popular books on statistical mechanics include "An Introduction to Statistical Mechanics" by Terrell L. Hill, "Statistical Mechanics: A Set of Lectures" by Richard P. Feynman, "Thermal Physics" by Daniel V. Schroeder, and "Statistical Mechanics: Entropy, Order Parameters and Complexity" by James P. Sethna.

4. How can understanding Brownian motion be applied in real life?

Understanding Brownian motion has many practical applications, such as in the design of drug delivery systems, the development of new materials, and the study of diffusion in biological systems. It is also crucial in fields such as chemical engineering, nanotechnology, and biophysics.

5. Is knowledge of advanced mathematics necessary to understand Brownian motion and statistical mechanics?

While some knowledge of mathematics, particularly calculus and probability theory, is helpful in understanding Brownian motion and statistical mechanics, many books on the subject are written in a way that is accessible to a wide audience. It is possible to gain a basic understanding of these concepts without a strong background in advanced mathematics.