Exploring Atomic-Sized Wavelengths in the Electromagnetic Spectrum

In summary, the region of the electromagnetic spectrum that contains wavelengths the size of an atom is in the 10^-10 meter range and corresponds to a frequency of 10^-8 Hz.
stickplot

Homework Statement

What region of the electromagnetic spectrum contains wavelengths the size of an atom? (10^-10 meters) What frequency does this wavelength correspond to?

Homework Equations

velocity=wavelength(frequency)

The Attempt at a Solution

3x10^8/1x10^-10=f

i think i did everything right
but my answer keeps coming out to 3E18
which i don't think is right and i don't know what the unit would be (hertz, megahertz)

Physics news on Phys.org
stickplot said:
What region of the electromagnetic spectrum contains wavelengths the size of an atom? (10^-10 meters)
You need to look up the words, check what wavelengths correspond to x-ray, gamma-ray etc.

What frequency does this wavelength correspond to?
3x10^8/1x10^-10=f
but my answer keeps coming out to 3E18
which i don't think is right and i don't know what the unit would be (hertz, megahertz)
You need to put units in your equation.
speed (m/s) = wavelength (m) * frequency (1/s )
So the answer( frequency) is in 1/s = Hz.
Then you just have to know what the word is for 10^18 - but nobody uses the words for this band anyway.

there electromagnetic waves and now I am pretty sure its hertz, the only thing I am not sure about is my answer because it seems odd, really long

10^18 is exa-hertz, but I had to go and look it up because nobody uses it!
You can specify an electromagnetic wave by energy, wavelength or frequency interchangeably - because the speed of light is always the same you can always convert form one to another.

For historical and techncial reasons, people working in x-ray and gamma rays tend to use energy (in eV), then from UV through visible to IR they use wavelength.
In microwaves it overlaps, with communications engineers using frequency and radar people using wavelength
Then in radio we generally use frequency and finally in low frequency radio (ie long wave) we use wavelength again!

o ok well this is what i got for frequency 3x10^18, but I've looked at some ultraviolet spectrums and i don't know where this frequency would be located in the spectrum.

Wavelengths of 10nm-0.01nm , or frequency 10^16 - 10^19 are x-ray

o ok.. i had forgoten to swith to nanometers... thank you very much

Related to Exploring Atomic-Sized Wavelengths in the Electromagnetic Spectrum

Question 1:

What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all types of electromagnetic radiation. It includes different forms of energy such as radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

Question 2:

What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency in the electromagnetic spectrum?

Wavelength and frequency are inversely proportional in the electromagnetic spectrum. This means that as the wavelength decreases, the frequency increases and vice versa. Wavelength and frequency are important characteristics of electromagnetic radiation and can be used to determine the type of radiation.

Question 3:

How is the electromagnetic spectrum used in everyday life?

The electromagnetic spectrum has many practical applications in our daily lives. For example, radio waves are used for communication, microwaves are used for cooking, infrared radiation is used for thermal imaging, visible light allows us to see, and X-rays are used in medical imaging.

Question 4:

What is the difference between ionizing and non-ionizing radiation in the electromagnetic spectrum?

Ionizing radiation has enough energy to remove electrons from atoms or molecules, which can be harmful to living organisms. Examples of ionizing radiation include X-rays and gamma rays. Non-ionizing radiation, on the other hand, does not have enough energy to remove electrons and is generally considered safe. This includes radio waves, microwaves, and visible light.

Question 5:

How does the electromagnetic spectrum relate to the speed of light?

All forms of electromagnetic radiation travel at the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This is a fundamental constant in the universe and is denoted by the letter "c". The speed of light is used to calculate the frequency and wavelength of electromagnetic radiation.