Exploring Alternative Theories of the Expanding Universe

In summary, James Leckner believes that space is not the result of a big explosion, but instead is the conversion of one form of energy to another. He suggests that dark energy is just this conversion.
Igottaknow
A hypothesis only by James Leckner

Looking at space as a form of energy itself or as another way that energy is converted from one form to another. You would look at space as not the result of a large explosion (per say) but more like the conversion of one form of energy to another or even some form of energy outside of space undergoing some form of entropy or reaction creating more space or the "expansion" of space. The big bang could be described as the start of this conversion of energy, almost like a bubble forming inside this "outside" form of energy (for lack of a better term) as the result of its energy being converted into open space and that transformation of energy continues indefinitely. Dark energy could just simply be this conversion. Some form of energy outside open space being converted into open space.

I wanted to place this idea somewhere where i can get some feedback, or a way to prove it wrong so I can stop thinking about it. I am no astronomer or physicist and don't have the type of education to really put this idea out there the way that I want so I wanted some ideas from more learned people than myself to either discount this or expand on it.

Any comments or thoughts at all however are more than welcome.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Who is James Leckner? I can't find him with google

By the way, it's "per se" not "per say"

Igotta:
I wanted to place this idea somewhere where i can get some feedback,

Try reading about 'vacuum energy' and see what you think...how it relates to what is puzzling you. Have you seen descriptions like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_energy
Vacuum energy is an underlying background energy that exists in space throughout the entire Universe...

...The vacuum energy also has important consequences for physical cosmology. Special relativity predicts that energy is equivalent to mass, and therefore, if the vacuum energy is "really there", it should exert a gravitational force. Essentially, a non-zero vacuum energy is expected to contribute to the cosmological constant, which affects the expansion of the universe.

So just about anything you can imagine IS 'energy'.

Igotta:
...more like the conversion of one form of energy to another...

that is probably just what it is...look up 'spontaneous symmetry breaking' in the early universe...

like here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_symmetry_breaking

When you change the degrees of freedom of any entity, voila, it's characteristics change...a sort of 'conversion' takes place...

so, based on the non standard language/phrasing in your post...I'd say I don't see anything new...it sounds like those general ideas have been incorporated in mainstream physics...and the development of a lot of underlying mathematics as illustrated by the links I posted...but without knowing more about just what the details are behind your comments, it's impossible to know.

phinds said:
Who is James Leckner? I can't find him with google

By the way, it's "per se" not "per say"

Yea that would be me. And thank you.

Naty1

Thank you for the feedback and my apologies for the very simple breakdown of this idea. It was something that I thought of standing in my driveway this morning and kind of rushed to jot it down as to not lose it later. Thank you for the links I am looking these over now. I was aware of vacuum energy but hadn't looked into it in depth really before now.

Better to pose questions rather than risk your topic be CLOSED because it is personal speculation...a personal theory.

Try asking things like "How is energy related to space?" or "Can space be considered a form of energy?"

Likes 1 person
Naty1 said:
Better to pose questions rather than risk your topic be CLOSED because it is personal speculation...a personal theory.

Try asking things like "How is energy related to space?" or "Can space be considered a form of energy?"

Thank you I will definitely do that in the future.

Personal theories are not allowed on PF, so I am going to close the thread. Feel free to start another thread for discussion of what mainstream science says about the expansion of the universe.

Related to Exploring Alternative Theories of the Expanding Universe

1. What is the expanding universe idea?

The expanding universe idea is a theory in cosmology that states the universe is continuously expanding and has been doing so since the Big Bang. This means that the distance between galaxies and other cosmic structures is increasing over time.

2. How do we know that the universe is expanding?

We know that the universe is expanding because of the redshift observed in light from distant objects. This means that the light from these objects is shifted towards the red end of the spectrum, indicating that they are moving away from us. Additionally, the cosmic microwave background radiation is another piece of evidence that supports the expanding universe idea.

3. What is the role of dark energy in the expanding universe?

Dark energy is a mysterious force that is believed to be the driving factor behind the expansion of the universe. It is thought to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe and is responsible for the acceleration of the expansion. However, its exact nature and origin are still not fully understood by scientists.

4. Does the expanding universe imply that there is an edge or boundary to the universe?

No, the expanding universe does not necessarily mean that there is an edge or boundary to the universe. It is possible that the universe is infinite and has no edge or boundary. However, our current technology and understanding of the universe are limited, so we cannot make any definitive statements about its size or shape.

5. How does the expanding universe idea relate to the concept of the Big Bang?

The expanding universe idea is closely linked to the Big Bang theory. The Big Bang is the event that scientists believe started the expansion of the universe. As the universe expanded, it cooled and formed the structures we see today, such as galaxies and stars. Therefore, the expanding universe idea is an essential aspect of the Big Bang theory.