Exploring a Fifth Force of the Universe

In summary, a 15-year-old student is interested in physics and has read popular physics books. They ask for advice on what to read and if there could be a fifth force in the universe. People respond with encouraging the student to continue reading and learning, but also cautioning them to focus on building a strong mathematical foundation before delving into advanced physics concepts. The conversation also touches on the idea of a fifth force and the potential for more forces to be discovered in the future.
alkadh455
Hi
I'm a 15 year old student that is very interested in physics and want to become a physicist (I wanted to become a physicist since I was 12). I've read a lot of popular physics books (examples like Michio Kaku, Brian Greene, Stephen Hawking, Newton, Carl Sagan,...) so do you guys think I should read certain books, or do certain things as for my age?
As for the main question for this: We all know the four fundamental forces of the universe (the electromagnetic force, gravitational force, strong and weak nuclear forces) but what do you think of a fifth force? Is it possible? tell me your thoughts...
Thanks a lot in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Quick answer. It is possible. However there is no evidence that a fifth force exists.

alkadh455 said:
Hi
I'm a 15 year old student that is very interested in physics and want to become a physicist (I wanted to become a physicist since I was 12). I've read a lot of popular physics books (examples like Michio Kaku, Brian Greene, Stephen Hawking, Newton, Carl Sagan,...) so do you guys think I should read certain books, or do certain things as for my age?
Good for you, read what you want, whether 'The Universe in a Nutshell' or "Harry Potter 1,2,3" (my teen grandaughter has read every one of them). Myself, I've read Einstein's Relativity about 10 times, and read it every year to still try to understand it. Read, read, read, and have fun, fun, fun...
As for the main question for this: We all know the four fundamental forces of the universe (the electromagnetic force, gravitational force, strong and weak nuclear forces) but what do you think of a fifth force? Is it possible? tell me your thoughts...
Thanks a lot in advance
Well, we don't even know yet if gravity is a force, but scientists are trying hard to discover it through a quantum theory of gravity and Theory of Everything, etc. 5th force? I don't know, I think personally that all are one in different forms...the Grand Unification Theory it was called in my day...anyway, best of luck in all your endeavors, you're bound to succeed...

The number of known forces is certainly lagging behind the number of known particles.

Go for it.

Studiot said:
The number of known forces is certainly lagging behind the number of known particles.

Go for it.

Agree! Stay grounded in real scientific methods, but don't be afraid to speculate and imagine.

The ancient Greeks said there are 4 elements that exist and speculated that there was a fifth element in the heavens.

Why stop at five forces? Maybe there is an entire "periodic table" of forces waiting to be discovered. :smile:

It's hard for us to imagine that, but perhaps one day our physics will be perceived as those ancient primative attempts to make sense of the world.

Perhaps, if the OP wants to be a physicist, we should be encouraging him to start on his journey with a hypothesis, rather just wishful thinking.

alkadh, do you have any reason to suppose there is a fifth force? Is there some evidence unexplained that might be explained with the invocation of a fifth force?

How about the force that is accelerating the expansion of the universe? (Dark force?)

OF

A 15 yr old who wants to be a physicist.

You do not have the math background to even think about physics yet, so start working on your math skills. Take all the math you can at your high school, to me this is even more important then taking high school physics. Your goal should be to take calculus. Then retake it in college. You must have calculus before you can do any meaningful work in Physics.

To do well in Physics you need a solid mathmaical foundation, get started now.

Related to Exploring a Fifth Force of the Universe

What is a fifth force of the universe?

A fifth force of the universe is a hypothetical force that has been proposed to explain certain phenomena that cannot be explained by the four known fundamental forces: gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. It is believed that this fifth force, if it exists, would act at a much smaller scale than the other four forces and could potentially explain the mysteries of dark matter and dark energy.

How is a fifth force being explored?

A fifth force is being explored through various experiments and observations, including studies of the behavior of particles at the subatomic level, measurements of the expansion of the universe, and investigations into the effects of gravity on cosmic structures. Scientists are also using advanced technologies and mathematical models to search for any potential evidence of a fifth force.

What would be the implications of discovering a fifth force?

The discovery of a fifth force would revolutionize our understanding of the universe and its fundamental laws. It could potentially lead to advancements in technology and open up new avenues for scientific exploration. It could also help explain some of the unanswered questions in physics, such as the nature of dark matter and the accelerating expansion of the universe.

Are there any indications of a fifth force in current scientific research?

While there have been some intriguing hints and anomalies in past studies, there is currently no conclusive evidence for a fifth force of the universe. However, scientists continue to search for any potential signs or effects of this hypothetical force and are constantly refining their methods and technologies to improve their chances of detection.

What are the challenges in exploring a fifth force?

The main challenge in exploring a fifth force is that it is a very elusive and mysterious concept. It is believed to act at a much smaller scale than the other four fundamental forces, making it extremely difficult to detect and measure. Additionally, there is no consensus among scientists about what this fifth force could be or how it would behave, making it a challenging and complex topic to study.