Explore PhysicsForums.com History on the Internet Archive

• Thread starter z-component
  • Start date
In summary, In 2001 PF used a different internet address, had different IP addresses in the early days, and has had many different IP addresses since then. PF has grown significantly since then and has a wealth of knowledgeable members.
z-component
Physics news on Phys.org
AH! different!

Different is right... the PF banner we use has recently been changed. I forgot what the previous one looked like until now.

I believe that in the VERY early days, PF used to have a different internet address. I forgot what it was, maybe Greg still has that information?

I like the old banner

Monique said:
I believe that in the VERY early days, PF used to have a different internet address. I forgot what it was, maybe Greg still has that information?

Physicsforums has had many different IP addresses:

216.220.25.121 (current)

In fact, Physicsforums was originally hosted on NT4 then Windows 2000, and eventually Linux.

you know this!? :eek:

I had forgotten what my logo had been...

- Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

3 years later and I'm still waiting..lol

Having been here since 2001, I'm amazed at how much PF has grown since that time.

yomamma said:
you know this!? :eek:

he is the "technology guru" after all

I joined in the first few weeks of the 2nd version of PF, just a few hundred members and a handful of regular posters. I recall a gathering some data on the rate people where signing up and predicting that we would surpass 2000 members in mid to late Aug of '02. I think it happened in Sept 02.

If I were to just be joining up there is no way that I would even be considered for a Mentor-ship, there are now many members whose knowledge exceed mine. In the early days there where very few degreed members and those that were did not have the time to take a Mentor-ship. I was honored at the offer and gladly accepted. Though Greg had to send me a email to draw my attention to the flashing PM flag!

The existence of so many knowledgeable members makes this job easier now then in the early days. Generally I do not have to worry about threads going with no response. My only concern is when I see a thread growing with no responses from advisor's.

Phobos said:
Having been here since 2001, I'm amazed at how much PF has grown since that time.
your info says you've been here since 2003

yomomma,

The site has been "restarted" afresh several times, after major software upgrades.

- Warren

yes I thought it was unfair that the post count didn't get to move with you..some of you might be post-it-aires by now!

The number of posts you make is not as important as the quality of them... ;)

Related to Explore PhysicsForums.com History on the Internet Archive

1. What is "Explore PhysicsForums.com History on the Internet Archive"?

"Explore PhysicsForums.com History on the Internet Archive" is a feature on PhysicsForums.com that allows users to access the archived history of the website on the Internet Archive. It contains snapshots of the website from its early days in 2003 to the present day.

2. Why is it important to explore the history of PhysicsForums.com?

Exploring the history of PhysicsForums.com allows users to see how the website has evolved over time and how it has become one of the most popular online communities for discussing physics and related topics. It also provides insights into the changes and developments in the field of physics over the years.

3. What can I find in the archived history of PhysicsForums.com?

In the archived history of PhysicsForums.com, you can find old threads, discussions, and posts from the early days of the website. You can also see how the website design, layout, and features have changed over time.

4. How can I access the archived history of PhysicsForums.com?

You can access the archived history of PhysicsForums.com by clicking on the "Explore PhysicsForums.com History" link on the homepage of the website or by going directly to the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine and searching for PhysicsForums.com.

5. Can I still participate in discussions on the archived history of PhysicsForums.com?

No, the archived history of PhysicsForums.com is for viewing purposes only. You cannot participate in discussions or post new threads on the archived versions of the website. However, you can still access the current version of the website to participate in discussions and contribute to the community.