Security Threat in Site Advertising

• Thread starter kwah
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is that whenever someone visits the page, a popup will appear that asks them if they want to take a survey. This popup has been appearing for the last few minutes, and it's unknown if its the cause of a rogue advert or if there is something on the site that is causing it.
kwah
Hey.. Just been looking at the site's archives via Google and came across https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-187556.html

So far, the problem has been limited to this page and results can be repeated, but a popup to http://www.skypoker.com/poker/sky_lobby?aff=1231 appears.

Internet Explorer then alerts me "This page is accessing information that is not under its control. This Poses a security risk. Do you want to continue?"

I've not got any idea what exactly it is trying to access, but figured PF staff should be alerted of this.

Regards,
Kwah =]

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't get that pop up when accessing the page. Does it occur every time you tried?

In most cases, the "mechanism" that causes that "context sensitive" advertisement to pop up resides on your computer, which means you might want to do a scan of your hard drive to make sure there are no adware that had installed itself.

Zz.

I also don't get a pop-up, and there is no indication that a pop-up is blocked.

I'm accessing it from my school's network so I find it highly unlikely that it is the cause of AdWare.

Yes, I've tested on three separate machines (on the same network) and each display the popup every time the page is loaded.

The computers are using XP SP2 with Internet Explorer 6.0, it is possible that the popup is targeted at this browser/machine combination in order to take advantage of a browser exploit for example.

In the last few minutes (literally just, as I was typing out this because I was going to explore further in terms of viewing the source code of the page), I noticed the advert at the top of the page had changed from a pinky-coloured to "Time Out, Please Take our survey" and various others and the popup has not appeared since.

Whether or not its the cause of a rogue advert or otherwise malicious code (either on site or on the machines) it remains to be seen.

Regards,
Kwah =]

Related to Security Threat in Site Advertising

1. What are the common types of security threats in site advertising?

Some common types of security threats in site advertising include malware, phishing attacks, adware, and clickjacking.

2. How does malware pose a risk in site advertising?

Malware can be embedded in advertisements and when clicked on, it can install harmful software on the user's device, collect sensitive information, or redirect them to malicious websites.

3. What is a phishing attack and how can it target users through site advertising?

A phishing attack is when a cybercriminal attempts to trick users into giving sensitive information, such as login credentials, by posing as a legitimate entity. In site advertising, phishing attacks can occur through fake ads that prompt users to enter their personal information.

4. How can adware affect a user's device through site advertising?

Adware is a type of software that displays unwanted ads on a user's device. It can be installed through malicious advertisements and can slow down the device's performance or lead to other security vulnerabilities.

5. What is clickjacking and how can it be used in site advertising?

Clickjacking is a technique used by cybercriminals to trick users into clicking on a button or link that is hidden behind a legitimate-looking advertisement. This can lead to unintended actions, such as downloading malware or making unauthorized purchases.