Explore Ocean Engineering: Jobs, Career Paths & Interesting Projects

In summary, the field of ocean engineering is relatively new, with limited opportunities for employment in the near future. However, there are many different jobs available in the field, and it is a very diverse field with many different areas of specialization.
SonnyTorres95
Hello, I just finished my freshman year, and I am curious about the field of ocean engineering. I started as an engineering major before switching to physics, but I am still in a position where I could easily change. Exploration of the unknown, as well as the study of the ocean, have always been things that really interest me, so over the past year have been interested in pursuing physical oceanography or something similar after undergraduate. But, I am not sure that in 3 years I will be committed to pursuing a PhD for a career in research. But recently, I have been looking into ocean engineering.
Ocean engineering seems like the perfect field for me; the opportunity to pursue really interesting research, but still be able to have an interesting job in industry if a PhD isn't what I want. But it is not a field that I hear about a lot outside of research institutions. so my questions are:
Are there many ocean engineering jobs out there?
How competitive is the field?
What kinds of jobs are there? Underwater vehicles and environments are what mainly interests me (ROVs, AUVs, Submarines, underwater habitats, etc.) but I don't imagine there are a lot of jobs in these? What about offshore structures?
Also, what is the best way to get into this field? mechanical engineering? Mech then ocean eng grad school? is majoring in physics then doing a masters in ocean engineering at all practical?
And to anyone with experience in the field, how interesting are the jobs? Is there a lot of field work or is it mainly behind a desk? Do you get to work on a lot of interesting projects?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about ocean engineering, but there is a diverse set of employment opportunities in various areas related to the ocean and coastal environments.

Apparently Ocean Engineering is a field - http://www.marinecareers.net/field_oceanengineering.php

Oceanography and Marine Science are two similar areas of study and employment. Most research is probably done through universities, research organizations, and government agencies, e.g., NOAA.

Jobs seem plentiful - Oceanography, Palaeoceanography, Marine Science, Coastal Science & Limnology Jobs
http://www.earthworks-jobs.com/oceanogr.htm

For engineered structures, one may wish to look at marine engineering, which is more or less a specialized type of mechanical and structural engineering.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_engineering
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/marine-engineers-and-naval-architects.htm

http://www.usmma.edu/academics/curriculum/marine-engineering

http://name.engin.umich.edu/

One may wish to contact this scientific/technical society
http://www.sname.org/home

Last edited by a moderator:
Ocean engineering as a profession encompasses many different occupations.

Some schools in the US have folded their naval architecture and marine engineering programs into an Ocean Engineering department, since many of the same courses are shared depending on what the student desires to specialize in.

Naval architecture is the traditional design of floating vessels, and the student is exposed to structures, some hydrodynamics, and general design of different types of vessels.

Marine engineering is concerned with integrating propulsion systems into vessels along with the other engineering systems which are needed to provide a functioning vessel.

Ocean Engineering also concerns itself with the design of fixed structures which would be constructed offshore or in some other marine environment. Fixed and floating oil production platforms in the Gulf of Mexico and the North Sea would be designed by ocean engineers, with the help of several other disciplines. If you like designing structures, you'll certainly get exposure to this in ocean engineering.

Now that transporting LNG is a booming field which is emerging, there will probably be more terminals built in the near future, which would require some type of ocean engineering.

In the US, MIT, U. Michigan at Ann Arbor, and U.California at Berkeley have some of the better known Ocean Engineering departments. Although these programs are all housed at large universities, the number of students in the Ocean Engineering programs is typically quite small, with any given class of undergrads numbering between 25-50 each year.

There are a couple schools which offer primarily a naval architecture/marine engineering curriculum modeled along the traditional lines. The U. of New Orleans models its program on the one offered at U.Mich, and there have been several U.Mich alumni who taught in this program.

Webb Institute on Long Island offers a dual BS in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering as its sole course of study. Each incoming class is limited to about 25 students, and the whole student body numbers about 75-90 at anyone time during the academic year. The campus is located on Long Island Sound and is housed in a converted estate, but it boasts its own small model basin. Although only a single undergrad degree is offered, many alumni from Webb go on to obtain graduate degrees from other institutions. (Full disclosure: I am a Webb graduate)

MIT no longer has an Ocean Engineering department. It's been folded into Mechanical Engineering. It's still a program, but not a department.

As a scientist with a background in ocean engineering, I can provide some insight and answers to your questions. Firstly, I want to say that ocean engineering is a fascinating and rapidly growing field that offers a diverse range of job opportunities and exciting projects. It combines principles from various disciplines such as mechanical engineering, civil engineering, and marine science to design and develop solutions for ocean-related challenges.

To answer your first question, yes, there are definitely many ocean engineering jobs out there. With the increasing demand for renewable energy, offshore oil and gas exploration, and sustainable use of ocean resources, the job market for ocean engineers is expanding. In addition, there are also opportunities in government agencies, research institutions, and consulting firms.

The field of ocean engineering is competitive, as it requires a strong understanding of engineering principles and knowledge of ocean environments. However, your background in physics and engineering will give you a solid foundation to excel in this field.

In terms of job opportunities, there are various roles in ocean engineering, including designing and building underwater vehicles, offshore structures, coastal protection systems, and renewable energy devices. As you mentioned, underwater vehicles and environments are a significant aspect of ocean engineering, and there are indeed many job opportunities in this area. Additionally, there are also opportunities in offshore structures, such as oil rigs and wind turbines, as well as coastal engineering, which involves designing structures to protect coastlines from erosion and storms.

The best way to get into this field is to pursue a degree in ocean engineering or a related discipline such as mechanical engineering, followed by a graduate degree in ocean engineering. However, majoring in physics and then pursuing a master's in ocean engineering is also a practical option, as long as you have a strong understanding of engineering principles.

In terms of the job itself, it can vary depending on the specific role and project. Some jobs may involve fieldwork, such as deploying and operating underwater vehicles, while others may be more desk-based, such as designing and analyzing structures using computer software. Overall, ocean engineering jobs offer a good balance between fieldwork and deskwork, and you can expect to work on a variety of interesting projects.

In conclusion, ocean engineering is a dynamic and growing field that offers a range of exciting job opportunities. With your background in physics and engineering, you have a strong foundation to pursue a career in this field. I encourage you to do further research and reach out to professionals in the field to gain more insight and guidance on your career path. Good luck!

Related to Explore Ocean Engineering: Jobs, Career Paths & Interesting Projects

1. What is ocean engineering?

Ocean engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, construction, and maintenance of structures and systems that operate in or interact with the ocean. This includes a wide range of projects such as offshore oil and gas platforms, underwater vehicles, coastal protection systems, and renewable energy systems.

2. What kind of jobs are available in ocean engineering?

There are a variety of jobs available in ocean engineering, including roles such as marine engineer, naval architect, offshore engineer, oceanographer, and marine surveyor. These jobs can be found in industries such as oil and gas, renewable energy, shipbuilding, and coastal engineering.

3. What are the career paths in ocean engineering?

Career paths in ocean engineering can vary depending on a person's interests and skills. Some may choose to focus on a specific area such as offshore structures or renewable energy, while others may pursue roles in research and development, project management, or consulting. With experience and further education, one can also move into higher-level positions such as senior engineer or project manager.

4. What are some interesting projects in ocean engineering?

There are many interesting projects in ocean engineering, including the design and construction of offshore wind farms, development of subsea mining technology, and exploration of deep-sea habitats. Other projects may involve the use of underwater robotics, development of new materials for marine structures, or implementation of sustainable coastal protection measures.

5. What skills are needed to succeed in ocean engineering?

Succeeding in ocean engineering requires a combination of technical skills, problem-solving abilities, and a strong understanding of the marine environment. It is also important to have good communication and teamwork skills, as many projects in this field involve collaboration with other engineers and scientists. Additionally, having a passion for the ocean and a desire to protect and utilize its resources can be beneficial in this field.