Explore Dependence of Axioms for Rings & Commutative Rings

In summary, the axioms for a ring are considered independent, while the axioms for a commutative ring are not independent due to the derived commutative property.
dndod1

Homework Statement

This is not an assignment question, just something that I am wondering about as an offshoot of an assignment question.
In my course notes Rings are defined as having 3 axioms and commutative rings have 4.(outined below)
I have just answered this question:
Show that the axiom set (sigma) is not independent for the following axioms.
B1 (S,+,*) is right distributive
B2 (S,+,*) is left distributive
B3 (S, *) is commutative

So I used B1 and B3 to derive B2. Therefore the axioms are not independent.

What I am wondering is: This appears to be trying to make me think about the difference between rings and commutative rings. So this means that the axioms for a commutative ring are not independent. Are the axioms for a ring independent? Or does it depend on the wording? (ie whether you group the 2 distributive laws as a single axiom?)
It appears to me that the wording of axioms is not universal; is that correct? (Some books seem to include closure as an axiom, others don't.)

Homework Equations

I have as my ring axioms
R1 The additive structure is an abelian group
R2 The multiplicative structure is a semigroup
R3 Two distributive laws connect the additive and multiplicative structures.

For commutative ring add R4 The multiplicative structure is commutative.

b]3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b]

If I gave axioms as R1-4 above, they would be independent?
If I gave them as listed below they wouldn't be independent? Is this correct?

R1 The additive structure is an abelian group
R2 The multiplicative structure is a semigroup
R3 LEFT distributive law connects the additive and multiplicative structures.
R4 RIGHT distributive law connects the additive and multiplicative structures.

For commutative ring add R5 The multiplicative structure is commutative.

It would be nice to be clear in my head on this idea!
Many thanks is anticipation.

Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to have clear and precise definitions and axioms in any field of study. In the case of rings and commutative rings, the axioms may vary slightly depending on the source, but the core principles remain the same. In general, the axioms for a ring are considered independent, as each one is necessary to fully define the structure. However, as you have observed, the axioms for a commutative ring are not independent, as the commutative property can be derived from the other axioms.

In terms of the wording of the axioms, it is important to be consistent and clear in how they are defined. Some sources may include closure as an axiom, while others may consider it a consequence of the other axioms. Ultimately, the important thing is that the axioms accurately and fully describe the structure being studied.

To answer your specific questions, if you listed the axioms for a ring as R1-4, they would still be considered independent. However, if you listed them with the distributive laws as separate axioms (R3 and R4), then they would not be independent, as the distributive laws can be derived from the other axioms.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of independent axioms in the context of rings and commutative rings. It is always important to carefully consider and define the axioms in any mathematical system to ensure a clear and accurate understanding.

Related to Explore Dependence of Axioms for Rings & Commutative Rings

1. What is the purpose of exploring the dependence of axioms for rings and commutative rings?

The purpose of exploring the dependence of axioms for rings and commutative rings is to better understand the fundamental properties and relationships between different mathematical structures. This exploration can lead to new insights and discoveries in abstract algebra and other fields of mathematics.

2. What are the axioms for rings and commutative rings?

The axioms for rings and commutative rings are a set of mathematical rules that define the essential properties of these algebraic structures. These axioms include closure, associativity, commutativity, identity, and invertibility for addition and multiplication operations.

3. What is the significance of exploring the dependence of axioms for rings and commutative rings?

Exploring the dependence of axioms for rings and commutative rings allows us to better understand the connections between different mathematical structures and to identify any underlying patterns or relationships. This can lead to new discoveries and applications in various fields of mathematics, including number theory, geometry, and physics.

4. Can the axioms for rings and commutative rings be modified or extended?

Yes, the axioms for rings and commutative rings can be modified or extended to define new algebraic structures with different properties. This can help us to explore new mathematical concepts and to further our understanding of the relationships between different mathematical structures.

5. How can the dependence of axioms for rings and commutative rings be visualized?

The dependence of axioms for rings and commutative rings can be visualized using mathematical diagrams or models, such as Cayley diagrams or Hasse diagrams. These tools can help us to better understand the relationships between different algebraic structures and to identify any dependencies or connections between them.