Is R/kZ under multiplication a field?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether ##\mathbb{R}/k\mathbb{Z}## forms a field with an "induced" multiplication from ##\mathbb{R}##. The multiplication has been proven to not be well-defined, as the operations do not hold for different representatives of the same co-set. This means that ##\mathbb{R}/k\mathbb{Z}## is not a ring and does not form a field. The conversation also touches on a general rule for determining if a ring is a field by checking if the quotiented set is an ideal.
Mandelbroth
I'm trying to figure out if ##\mathbb{R}/k\mathbb{Z}## would form a field if we allowed for an "induced" multiplication from ##\mathbb{R}##, with ##r\in\mathbb{R}/k\mathbb{Z}## identified with ##r+k\in\mathbb{R}/k\mathbb{Z}##. So, if we wanted to multiply ##3\in\mathbb{R}/4\mathbb{Z}## by ##\frac{1}{2}\in\mathbb{R}/4\mathbb{Z}##, we'd get 3/2, but if we wanted to multiply ##3\in\mathbb{R}/4\mathbb{Z}## and ##2\in\mathbb{R}/4\mathbb{Z}##, we'd get 6-4=2. I'm not convinced that this is a field, despite what my professor told me in a really off-topic discussion from polar coordinates.

Clearly, it forms an abelian group under addition. It also has a commutative, associative, and distributive multiplication law with an identity. Now I just need to show that it has an inverse for every nonzero element. I tried to prove this by proving that there isn't a nontrivial proper ideal in ##\mathbb{R}/k\mathbb{Z}##, but that isn't getting me anywhere.

Rather than help me with just this specific problem, though, I'd also like to know if there is a general algorithm/procedure/etc. for showing that a commutative ring is a field.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your multiplication has some problems here. Notice that 0+4Z = (0+4Z)(1/2+4Z) = (4+4Z)(1/2+4Z) = 2+4Z using your rule.

Likes 1 person
jgens said:
Your multiplication has some problems here. Notice that 0+4Z = (0+4Z)(1/2+4Z) = (4+4Z)(1/2+4Z) = 2+4Z using your rule.
Aha! There we go. Thank you. :biggrin:

Do you have any idea how I could notice things like that in the future?

Mandelbroth said:

Anytime you are quotienting out by a set (in this case kZ) the first question should be "are my operations still well-defined?" And until you prove that they are there's no point in proceeding. And by 'well-defined' we always mean what happens if I pick different representatives of the same co-set, so if you tried some examples you would quickly find the problem here.

Mandelbroth said:

Sure. If you have a ring R and a subgroup I then generally R/I inherits multiplication from R only when I is an ideal. So basically whenever you quotient out by something that is not an ideal, you should not expect to end up with a ring.

Likes 1 person
jgens said:
Sure. If you have a ring R and a subgroup I then generally R/I inherits multiplication from R only when I is an ideal. So basically whenever you quotient out by something that is not an ideal, you should not expect to end up with a ring.
I probably should have thought of that. I just wasn't thinking of ##\mathbb{R}## alone in terms of rings. :redface:

Thank you. You've been very helpful and patient.

Related to Is R/kZ under multiplication a field?

1. What is R/kZ under multiplication?

R/kZ under multiplication refers to the quotient group formed by taking the group of real numbers (R) and dividing it by the subgroup of integers (kZ). This group is defined under the operation of multiplication, where elements are multiplied and then the resulting value is taken modulo k.

2. How is R/kZ under multiplication different from R/kZ under addition?

The main difference is in the operation used to define the group. In R/kZ under multiplication, elements are multiplied and then taken modulo k, while in R/kZ under addition, elements are added and then taken modulo k. This results in different groups with different properties.

3. What are some examples of elements in R/kZ under multiplication?

Some examples of elements in this group would be [0], [1], [2], [3], etc. These elements represent the different cosets (or equivalence classes) formed by dividing the real numbers by the subgroup of integers. For example, [0] represents all real numbers that are divisible by k, [1] represents all real numbers with a remainder of 1 when divided by k, and so on.

4. How is the identity element represented in R/kZ under multiplication?

The identity element in this group is the coset [1]. This represents all real numbers that have a remainder of 1 when divided by k. This is because when any element in the group is multiplied by [1], the resulting value remains unchanged.

5. What are some applications of R/kZ under multiplication in science?

This group has applications in fields such as cryptography, where it can be used to construct secure encryption systems. It also has connections to number theory and abstract algebra, making it a useful tool for studying and understanding these areas of mathematics. Additionally, it can be used to model cyclic phenomena in nature, such as the periodic behavior of certain physical systems.