Explanation of the discrete fourier transform

In summary, the conversation was about describing images in frequency space and understanding the Fourier transform. The participants discussed how images can be represented as a series of sinusoids in frequency space and the process of running each pixel through a mathematical formula to obtain the Fourier pixel. They also shared some helpful resources for non-mathematical explanations of the Fourier transform. Finally, there was a question about the function used in the Fourier transform and its corresponding base function.
u0362565
Hi all,

I'm a complete novice when it comes to describing images in frequency space and i understand that it is a way of representing images as being composed of a series of sinusoids. So a horizontal striped pattern with a single spatial frequency would have a magnitude image in frequency space with 3 non zero points, the origin the two mirrored points on either side at a distance from the centre depending on the spatial frequency. However in terms of what a Fourier transform actually does to each pixel in the image can anyone explain that. So you run each pixel through a mathematical formula can anyone explain the fast and discrete Fourier transform equations in non-mathematical terms? I haven't really been able to find this online. If you were trying to explain a Fourier transform to someone who knew nothing about imaging or optics even to say the image is decomposed into a series of sinusoids could be a bit baffling..

Thanks for your help,

Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Andy,

Yes thanks for those all contain very good non-mathematical descriptions. I was trying to interpret the function though so that i could definitively say what calculation is performed on each pixel in the spatial image to yield the Fourier pixel.

F(u,v) = SUM{ f(x,y)*exp(-j*2*pi*(u*x+v*y)/N) }

One of the sites says the function can be interpreted as "the value of each point F(k,l) or pixel in the Fourier image is obtained by multiplying the spatial image with the corresponding base function and summing the result"

But what is the corresponding base function exactly?

Thanks

Are you confused by "exp(-j*2*pi*(u*x+v*y)/N)"? That's just a plane wave- the sinusoid basis states.

I was just thinking if I was going to take an image and use the function to calculate the Fourier component at each pixel location what numbers would i be plugging into the function. I'm sure that's something you wouldn't do as you can use software to calculate it but its just for my own understanding of what each term in the function means. I'm happy with the qualitative explanations and i can't imagine people will question me about the function itself.

Thanks for the response.

Related to Explanation of the discrete fourier transform

1. What is the discrete Fourier transform (DFT)?

The discrete Fourier transform (DFT) is a mathematical operation that converts a finite sequence of equally spaced samples of a function into a sequence of complex numbers representing the function's frequency components.

2. Why is the DFT important?

The DFT is important because it allows us to analyze signals in the frequency domain, which can provide valuable insights into their characteristics and behavior. It is also widely used in digital signal processing and image processing applications.

3. How is the DFT calculated?

The DFT is calculated using a mathematical formula that involves multiplying the signal by a series of complex sinusoids at different frequencies and summing the results. This can be done efficiently using algorithms such as the Fast Fourier Transform (FFT).

4. What is the difference between the DFT and the continuous Fourier transform?

The main difference between the DFT and the continuous Fourier transform is that the DFT operates on a finite set of equally spaced samples, while the continuous Fourier transform operates on a continuous function. The DFT is also a discrete, periodic function, whereas the continuous Fourier transform is a continuous function.

5. What are some common applications of the DFT?

The DFT has many applications in various fields, including signal processing, image processing, audio and video compression, and spectral analysis. It is also used in scientific computing, data analysis, and pattern recognition.