Explaining Why a Set with Operation * Does Not Define a Group

In summary, the example given in the book does not appear to be a real group due to the lack of associativity of the operation.
coderot
Hi,

I'm having trouble understanding why the follow composition table for the set [itex]\left\{ a, b, c, d \right\} [/itex] with operation * doesn't define a group.
[tex]
\begin{array}{c|cccc}
* & a & b & c & d \\ \hline
a & c & d & a & b \\
b & d & c & b & a \\
c & a & b & c & d \\
d & b & a & d & c \\
\end{array}
[/tex]
Firstly I know that the operation is closed since every element in the set is in the table. The operation is commutative because it's symmetrical about the leading diagonal and the identity element is c (the third row).

However according to the example the operation isn't associative. This is what I'm having trouble with. According to the book (New Comprehensive Mathematics for 'O' Level) the example says that [tex]b * (d * a) = b * b = b[/tex] and this is what I don't understand. Why is the result of this operation not c?. From the table is says that [tex]b * b = c.[/tex] Any help please thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like there is a misprint. As you say, from the table b * b = c and as (b * d) * a = a * a = c this not an example of non-associativity.

That is what I thought. However there is another example of this in the accompanying exercises. Here is the table. I'm asked to state why this isn't a group.
[tex]
\begin{array}{c|ccc}
* & 0 & 2 & 4 \\ \hline
0 & 0 & 2 & 4 \\
2 & 2 & 0 & 2 \\
4 & 4 & 2 & 0 \\
\end{array}
[/tex]
Again the result states that the set [itex]\left\{0, 2, 4\right\}[/itex] isn't a group for this operation because is isn't associative. Which makes me believe that I'm not understanding something about this property of groups.

coderot said:
That is what I thought. However there is another example of this in the accompanying exercises. Here is the table. I'm asked to state why this isn't a group.
[tex]
\begin{array}{c|ccc}
* & 0 & 2 & 4 \\ \hline
0 & 0 & 2 & 4 \\
2 & 2 & 0 & 2 \\
4 & 4 & 2 & 0 \\
\end{array}
[/tex]
Again the result states that the set [itex]\left\{0, 2, 4\right\}[/itex] isn't a group for this operation because is isn't associative. Which makes me believe that I'm not understanding something about this property of groups.

(2x4)x4 = 2x4 = 2
2x(4x4) = 2x0 = 0

Another example: Try [itex] (2*2)*4 [/itex] vs [itex] 2*(2*4) [/itex].

In an actual group, the equation [itex] g*X = h [/itex] has the unique solution [itex] X = g^{-1} *h [/itex]
In this set, the equation [itex] 2*X = 4 [/itex] has no solution.
In a real group you can multiply an equation on both sides by the same group element without changing the solution set.

So [itex] 2*X = 4 [/itex] would have the solution [itex] X = 2^{-1}*4 = 2*4 [/itex]

Substituting this back into the equation [itex] 2*X = 4 [/itex] we have
[itex] 2*(2*4) = 4 [/itex] which suggested to me that there is some problem with evaluating the product [itex]2*2*4 [/itex].

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses guys. You've cleared this one up for me. :)

Related to Explaining Why a Set with Operation * Does Not Define a Group

1. What is a group in mathematics?

A group is a mathematical concept that consists of a set of elements and an operation that combines any two elements in the set to form a third element. The operation must satisfy four properties: closure, associativity, identity, and invertibility.

2. What is the purpose of an operation in a group?

The operation in a group is used to combine two elements in the set and produce a new element. This allows for the manipulation and transformation of the elements within the group.

3. Why is it important for a set with an operation to define a group?

A set with an operation that defines a group has many useful properties and can be studied and analyzed in a more structured and systematic way. Groups are widely used in many areas of mathematics, physics, and other sciences.

4. Can any set with an operation be considered a group?

No, not all sets with an operation can be considered a group. The operation must satisfy all four group properties (closure, associativity, identity, and invertibility) in order for the set to be considered a group.

5. What are some common reasons why a set with operation * does not define a group?

There are a few common reasons why a set with operation * does not define a group. These include the operation not being associative, the identity element not existing within the set, and not all elements having an inverse. Additionally, if the operation is not closed (i.e. the result of the operation is not an element within the set), the set cannot be considered a group.