Partially specified elements of a group?

In summary, a partially specified element in group theory refers to a group element that acts as a permutation on the set of elements in the group and is specified by a set of ordered pairs. This partial specification can be reversed to form an inverse specification and can be multiplied with another partial specification to form a composition of mappings. This type of partial specification is known as a relation, but it is more specific than a general relation since it is a subset of the ordered pairs of a function.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
Is there a technical term in group theory for (what I would call) partially specified elements of a group?

I mean "partially specified" in the following sense:

An elements of a group acts as permuation on the set of elements of the group. So a group element can be considered to be a function that is specified by a set of ordered pairs. Suppose we have a set of ordered pairs of group elements that incompletely specifies a 1-1 function on the group. For example if the group elements are {a,b,c,d} we might have the set of ordered pairs { (a,b),(c,a)} which is missing a specification for (b,?) and (d,?).

If A is a partial specification then reversing the ordered pairs in A give a different partial specification which one might call the inverse specification. If A and B are two partial specification then the product can be defined as the partial specification given by forming the composition of the two mappings, insofar as we can do so from the given ordered pairs in A and B.

Physics news on Phys.org
As I know it, it's called a "relation".

From wikipedia: "Formally, a relation is a set of n-tuples of equal degree."

I like Serena said:
As I know it, it's called a "relation".

I agree that it is a relation, but this type of partial specification is more specific than a general relation. A general relation need not even be a subset of the ordered pairs of a function.

Related to Partially specified elements of a group?

1. What are partially specified elements of a group?

Partially specified elements of a group are elements that have some, but not all, of their properties or characteristics defined. In other words, they are not fully specified or completely known.

2. How are partially specified elements different from fully specified elements?

Partially specified elements have some unknown properties or characteristics, while fully specified elements have all of their properties and characteristics defined. In mathematics, fully specified elements are often referred to as "complete" elements.

3. Why are partially specified elements important in group theory?

Partially specified elements allow for a more flexible and general approach to studying groups. They allow us to focus on the common properties and characteristics shared by different elements, rather than only looking at specific, fully specified elements.

4. Can partially specified elements be used to represent real-world phenomena?

Yes, partially specified elements can be used to model and represent real-world phenomena in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology. In these cases, the partially specified elements represent systems or objects that have some, but not all, of their properties known or understood.

5. How do you work with partially specified elements in group theory?

In group theory, partially specified elements are often treated as variables or symbols, and operations are performed on them using algebraic rules and properties. This allows for a more abstract and general approach to studying groups and their properties.