Explaining Band theory and Momentum Space to laymen?

In summary, an electrician has a degree in physics and an education degree, but due to a lack of patience for students who do not care about learning, they became an electrician. They realized that in order for electrons to flow in a wire, they need to be loosely bound and this is what they explained to a lay person (at a rudimentary level) using concepts of k-space and band structure. Materials that are good conductors tend to have some of these properties.
quarky2001
I didn't put this in the Education forum because I feel the level is probably too high.

I have a physics degree and an education degree, but due to my inability to tolerate students who simply don't care about learning, I became an electrician instead.

My colleagues and I were having a discussion about technical training, and the conversation drifted toward what really causes conduction to occur, and I piped up, having taken several semi-advanced solid state physics courses.

What I realized is, when I tried to explain conduction in simplified terms of k-space and band structure, it just sounded like the Bohr model, when in reality it's quite different. Any ideas how to effectively explain the concepts to someone with a rudimentary understanding of Ohm's law, resistivity, Kirchoff's rules, and basic trig?

Physics news on Phys.org
What to explain depends on what level of response they're looking for.

What makes a material conduct electricity?

Well, in order for electricity to flow in a wire, electrons must be able to flow in the wire.

In order for electrons to be able to flow in a wire, they can't be held too tightly by single atoms in the wire.

In metals, it just so happens that the outermost electrons in atoms of metals are loosely bound enough to flow from atom to atom.

Since these electrons can collide with the lattice of metal atoms (called ions without their outermost electrons), you get a kind of drag and loss of energy as the electrons flow (like beads in an African rainstick). This is what I could probably explain to a layperson about how electrical resistance works.

So why are some materials better conductors than others?
- Some atoms hold onto their electrons more loosely
- Some atoms share their electrons with others more readily
- Some atoms make bigger targets for collisions
- Some atoms have more electrons to spare (perhaps?).

I couldn't say much more than this (at a layperson level), as you almost certainly know more solid state physics than I do.

Last edited:
quarky2001 said:
I didn't put this in the Education forum because I feel the level is probably too high.

I have a physics degree and an education degree, but due to my inability to tolerate students who simply don't care about learning, I became an electrician instead.

My colleagues and I were having a discussion about technical training, and the conversation drifted toward what really causes conduction to occur, and I piped up, having taken several semi-advanced solid state physics courses.

What I realized is, when I tried to explain conduction in simplified terms of k-space and band structure, it just sounded like the Bohr model, when in reality it's quite different. Any ideas how to effectively explain the concepts to someone with a rudimentary understanding of Ohm's law, resistivity, Kirchoff's rules, and basic trig?

I must admit that I don't quite understand how you needed to use band structure and k-space to explain simple charge transport in a conductor. Why can't you just stick with the Drude model and invoke the free-electron gas? The concept of drift velocity and applying basic statistics get you Ohm's Law and most of the typical characteristics of charge transport in metals.

Zz.

Related to Explaining Band theory and Momentum Space to laymen?

1. What is band theory and how does it relate to momentum space?

Band theory is a concept in solid state physics that explains the behavior of electrons in a crystal lattice. It describes how electrons can occupy different energy levels, or bands, within the lattice. Momentum space is a mathematical representation of the momentum of particles, including electrons. Band theory helps us understand how the energy levels of electrons in a crystal lattice are related to their momentum in momentum space.

2. Why is band theory important?

Band theory is important because it helps us understand the properties of materials, such as their conductivity and optical properties. It also allows us to predict and design new materials with specific properties, such as semiconductors and superconductors.

3. How does band theory explain the difference between conductors, insulators, and semiconductors?

According to band theory, the energy levels of electrons in a material can either be completely filled, completely empty, or partially filled. In conductors, the energy levels are partially filled, allowing electrons to move easily and conduct electricity. In insulators, the energy levels are completely filled, making it difficult for electrons to move and thus insulating the material. Semiconductors have partially filled energy levels, but the gap between the filled and empty levels is small enough for electrons to easily jump from one to the other, making them good conductors under certain conditions.

4. Can you explain momentum space in simpler terms?

Momentum space is a mathematical representation of the momentum of particles, such as electrons. It is similar to a graph with the x-axis representing the momentum in different directions and the y-axis representing the number of particles with that momentum. This representation allows us to better understand and predict the behavior of particles in a material.

5. How does band theory explain the concept of energy bands in a material?

According to band theory, the electrons in a crystal lattice can only occupy certain energy levels, or bands, due to the periodic arrangement of atoms in the lattice. These bands are separated by energy gaps, where no electrons can exist. The energy levels in these bands determine the properties of the material, such as its conductivity and optical properties.