Experiment's ph, simple i think

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, when 5ml of 0.1M HCl was added to 20ml of a .5M solution of an unknown weak base, the pH increased from 5.855 to 7.161. The equilibrium constant was not calculated, but it is known that the pOH is 10^-(14-5.855) = 7.161 x 10^-9.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
In an experiment we did, we simply added 5ml of 0.1ml HCl into 20ml of a .5M solution of an unknown weak base. I'm not sure how we calculate the equilibrium constant though

We know the pH is 5.855 which means the pOH is 10^-(14-5.855) = 7.161 x 10^-9.

Now I'm a bit confused. Is the [HB+] concentration the same as the [OH-] concentration and is the equilibrium equation this?

[tex]Keq = \frac{{[HB][OH]}}{{}}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Pengwuino said:
In an experiment we did, we simply added 5ml of 0.1ml HCl into 20ml of a .5M solution of an unknown weak base. I'm not sure how we calculate the equilibrium constant though

I think some more information needs to be known. For instance, is it a mono-acidic base (like NaOH)?

What you need to find is which is in excess (ie, at equilibrium, what is the concentration of each species? Is there an excess of the acid, the base or did they react completely?)

Pengwuino said:
We know the pH is 5.855 which means the pOH is 10^-(14-5.855) = 7.161 x 10^-9.

The concentration of OH- will be 10^-(14-5.855) = 7.161 x 10^-9 not pOH.

Pengwuino said:
Now I'm a bit confused. Is the [HB+] concentration the same as the [OH-] concentration and is the equilibrium equation this?

[tex]Keq = \frac{{[HB][OH]}}{{}}[/tex]

First of all, how did you get that equilibrium equation?
As I said earlier, you need to know what the concentration of the species at equilibrium are before you can find the equilibrium relation

Last edited:
siddharth gave some very good points, however, the premise here is the equation pKa=pH at the half equivalence point as far as this lab is concerned. Both of you should note that, the mixing of the acid and base would result in half of the base titrated.

There is something wrong with the question - there is no base that will give acidic solution when partially neutralized.

Not 50% but 5% of the base was neutralized, so pKa is not equal to pH.

Pengwuino - take a look at this question: calculation of pKa of a weak acid. It describes similar case, so should be helpfull.

GCT said:
Both of you should note that, the mixing of the acid and base would result in half of the base titrated.

Why is that? If it is a mono-acidic base like NaOH, then initially there are 10 mmol of NaOH and 0.5 mmol of HCl. So only 0.5 mmol of the base will react.

There is something wrong with the question - there is no base that will give acidic solution when partially neutralized.

Yeah, since there is an excess of the base, I would have thought that the resulting solution will be basic.

I figured the equation should be...

[tex]HA_{aq} + B_{aq} \leftrightarrow HB_{aq} + OH_{aq} [/tex]

HA being the HCl
B being the weak base
HB being the salt
OH being hydroxide
H2O being some strange liquid :P

Then the equlibrium equation should be (after reducing)

[tex]\frac{{[HB][OH]}}{{}}[/tex]

Since all the acid was neutralized (or at least i suspect it should have)

Last edited:
Why is that? If it is a mono-acidic base like NaOH, then initially there are 10 mmol of NaOH and 0.5 mmol of HCl. So only 0.5 mmol of the base will react.

yeah, the problem's messed up to begin with, we've got nothing to work with here really so it's somewhat senseless to continue the discussion, so Penguino should restate the problem,

that was stupidity on my part, I assumed that since the experiment involved a simple step to calculate the Ka, that the case here was that of half equilvalence.

Well the problem was very straight forward. We had a solution of HCl and a solution of an "unknown weak base".

I Just realized i should have put "5ml of 0.1M HCl". That was basically what we had to work with and i just assume it. I also skipped a step and said my [OH] was my pOH without clarifying that i was converting to [OH] already.

if it were the simple case where we're dealing with a half-equivalence point problem, then pKa=pH, but from the problem, it doesn't seem that way.

in reference to your original post, the hydroxide term will equal the acid term, before you add the acid. You'll need to make some subsequent rearrangements and then work backwards to solve for Kb. Note that they give you the pH (after adding the acid?), you can use this to solve for the hydroxide term. Let's see what you can do.

[tex]Kb=[HA][OH-]/[HA]=[x][x]/[.5M-x][/tex] and subsequently

[tex]Kb=[.0005M+x][10^{-8.145}]/[.5M-x-.0005M][/tex] assuming we're dealing with the buffer region (which may or may not be the case here).

So you've got two equations to work with

GCT said:
[tex]Kb=[HA][OH-]/[HA]=[x][x]/[.5M-x][/tex]

[tex]Kb=[HA][OH^-]/[HA]=[OH^-][/tex] ? :smile:

yeah, thanks for pointing that out

[tex]Kb=[HA][OH-]/[A-][/tex]

Related to Experiment's ph, simple i think

What is the purpose of measuring the pH in an experiment?

The pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It is important to measure the pH in an experiment to understand the chemical reactions taking place and to determine the optimal conditions for a reaction to occur.

How is pH measured in a simple experiment?

In a simple experiment, pH can be measured using pH strips or a pH meter. pH strips are small strips of paper that change color when dipped in a solution, indicating its pH. A pH meter is a more accurate and precise instrument that measures the electrical potential of a solution and converts it to a pH value.

What is the range of pH values and what do they indicate?

The pH scale ranges from 0 to 14, with 0 being the most acidic and 14 being the most basic. A pH of 7 is considered neutral. Lower pH values indicate higher acidity, while higher pH values indicate higher basicity. Each change in pH value represents a tenfold change in acidity or basicity.

How does temperature affect pH?

Temperature can affect the pH of a solution by altering the rate of chemical reactions. Generally, as temperature increases, the rate of chemical reactions also increases, which can lead to changes in pH. Additionally, some chemicals may be more or less acidic or basic at different temperatures.

What factors can influence the pH of a solution in an experiment?

The pH of a solution can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the concentration of acid or base present, the temperature, the presence of other chemicals, and the type of reaction occurring. It is important to control and monitor these factors in an experiment to accurately measure and understand the pH of a solution.