Experimentally determining tire friction coefficient

In summary, the friction coefficient mu between the tire and road surface is determined experimentally by using a graph. Engineers use this graph to calculate the potential transferred forces acting on the tire.
marellasunny
In a recent lecture,I learned that the friction coefficient "mu" between the tire and road surface is determined experimentally by using a graph. i.e a graph between the longitudinal tire force and the longitudinal slip. Well,how did engineers emperically arrive at such a graph in the first place?

I know that longitudinal slip is a function of the vehicle velocity and wheel longitudinal velocity.I guess it is easy to estimate. But,how could the longitudinal tire force be estimated? The lecture slides say that this could be made possible "... by measuring the tire profile deformation,from which the information of the potential transferred forces are determined." The connection on the relations is not quite clear.

Any ideas and experiences would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How does the tire deform?
Is there a material property that could relate the deformation to a force?

http://www.vmi-group.com/tire/products/tire-and-compound-testing/force-and-moment-testing/:

«The forces & moments acting on the tire are measured through a multi-channel strain gauge sensor mounted at the tire spindle.»

vmi_tire_testing_force_moment1.jpg

Simon Bridge said:
How does the tire deform?
Is there a material property that could relate the deformation to a force?
I do know that automotive engineers model a tyre as a combination of a spring+damper system, except that the spring+damper(s) are spread out along the circumference of the tyre.

Since the stiffness of the tyre rubber material and the deformation(from experiment) are known,I guess one could calculate a force acting on the tyre. This force being longitudinal like a traction force is hard to imagine to me. I still don't quite know what equations they use to find the friction coefficient in the end.

marellasunny said:
Since the stiffness of the tyre rubber material and the deformation(from experiment) are known,I guess one could calculate a force acting on the tyre. This force being longitudinal like a traction force is hard to imagine to me. I still don't quite know what equations they use to find the friction coefficient in the end.
It's not going to be a simple relationship... in practice, the calculations are done using a machine.

In principle it is much the same process as the exercise where you have a block of rubber sitting on a surface and you drag something across the top surface.

You also have to factor in "load range" since testing is usually done within the range on a "per tire" basis meaning that you could have two nearly identically tires show drastically different friction because one has a different load range and was tested with "more weight" against the friction surface.

Related to Experimentally determining tire friction coefficient

1. What is the purpose of experimentally determining tire friction coefficient?

The purpose of experimentally determining tire friction coefficient is to accurately measure the amount of friction between a tire and the road surface. This information is important for understanding the performance and safety of a vehicle, as well as for developing and improving tire designs.

2. How is tire friction coefficient determined in an experiment?

In an experiment, tire friction coefficient is typically determined by measuring the force required to make a tire slide on a specific surface. This force is divided by the weight of the vehicle to calculate the coefficient of friction. Other factors such as tire pressure, tire tread, and road surface conditions may also be taken into account.

3. What factors can affect tire friction coefficient?

There are several factors that can affect tire friction coefficient, including tire design, tire pressure, road surface conditions, and vehicle weight. The type of tire rubber and tread pattern can also play a role, as well as external factors such as temperature and humidity.

4. Why is tire friction coefficient important for vehicle safety?

Tire friction coefficient is important for vehicle safety because it directly affects the ability of a vehicle to grip the road surface. A lower coefficient of friction means less traction and potentially longer stopping distances, making it more difficult to control a vehicle. Understanding and accurately measuring tire friction coefficient can help identify potential safety concerns and improve vehicle performance.

5. How can tire friction coefficient be improved?

Tire friction coefficient can be improved through various methods, such as using different tire rubber compounds, adjusting tire pressure, or changing the tread design. In addition, maintaining proper tire maintenance and regularly replacing worn tires can also help improve overall tire performance and increase friction coefficient.