Experimental negative work function?

This negative value for the work function is likely due to a sign convention in the experiment or a mathematical error. In summary, the negative value for the work function obtained from the graph's intercept indicates that energy must be added to the system for electrons to be released, possibly due to a sign convention or mathematical error.
teroenza

Homework Statement

I have experimentally determined the work function from the intercepts of a fit line in graph of stopping potential (J) versus frequency (Hz). This is from a photoelectric effect lab. The value of the intercept, which I believe is that of the work function, is returned as negative. (the "a" value in the boxes). I know I am getting hung up mentally on a simple sign issue, but why is this value negative? Is this a sign convention indicating energy must enter the material to knock particles (electrons in my case) off?

Homework Equations

y= bx +a

Stopping Potential = h*frequency - work function

The Attempt at a Solution

My graph is attached.

Attachments

• Graph0.jpg
    Graph0.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 424
Physics news on Phys.org
The negative "a" value of the fit line is -1.85 V. The negative sign in this equation indicates that energy must enter the material to knock electrons off, as you suggested. This is because the equation for stopping potential is Stopping Potential = h*frequency - work function. Since the work function is a negative value, energy must be added to the system in order for electrons to be released.

Related to Experimental negative work function?

1. What is an experimental negative work function?

An experimental negative work function refers to the measurement of the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from a material's surface. In this case, the work function has been found to be negative, indicating that the material's surface has an excess of electrons.

2. How is experimental negative work function measured?

The experimental negative work function is typically measured using the photoelectric effect, where the material is exposed to light of various wavelengths and the resulting electron emission is measured. The energy of the incident photons is then used to calculate the work function of the material.

3. What does a negative work function indicate about a material?

A negative work function indicates that the material's surface has an excess of electrons. This can be caused by factors such as the presence of impurities or the formation of an electric field on the surface. It can also indicate that the material has a high electron affinity, meaning that it has a strong tendency to attract electrons.

4. Can a material have a negative work function at all wavelengths of light?

No, a material's work function can vary with the wavelength of light used to measure it. In some cases, a material may have a negative work function at certain wavelengths of light, but a positive work function at others.

5. What are some potential applications of materials with a negative work function?

Materials with a negative work function can be useful in various electronic and optoelectronic devices. For example, they can be used as electron emitters in vacuum tubes, as electron sources in electron microscopes, or as cathodes in electron guns. They can also be used in solar cells to increase their efficiency by providing a more efficient electron extraction process.