What is the work function of a metal?

In summary: I think this is something that I’ll need to keep in mind when trying to work out problems similar to this in the future.
Bolter
Homework Statement
Calculate the metal's work function
Relevant Equations
See below
Question:

Screenshot 2020-03-08 at 14.22.59.png

I have tried this and got work function to e 5.1eV

IMG_4062.jpg

My concern is that for these type of questions, do I need to take into account the signs of some values; such as the negative sign for the charge of an electron? Or could I just take the magnitude for all the values

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Bolter said:
Homework Statement:: Calculate the metal's work function
Relevant Equations:: See below

Question:

View attachment 258343

I have tried this and got work function to e 5.1eV

View attachment 258344

My concern is that for these type of questions, do I need to take into account the signs of some values; such as the negative sign for the charge of an electron? Or could I just take the magnitude for all the values

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
You do need to consider signs. But the easiest way to get it right is to use simple logic. You know that the photon energy is having to overcome both the work function and the applied voltage, so you can write |hf|=[V|+|W|.

It doesn't look like any of the possible answers is correct. The energy of the photon is 3.54 eV. If there is a photocurrent, the work function of the metal must be less than this.

You could save yourself a bit of time and reduce the chance of an error by spending a few minutes to learn to work with electron-volts instead of joules.

haruspex said:
You do need to consider signs. But the easiest way to get it right is to use simple logic. You know that the photon energy is having to overcome both the work function and the applied voltage, so you can write |hf|=[V|+|W|.

Ok noted. I’ll try to remember this the next time I stumble across a problem similar to this.

When I do use this, I get an answer of 1.99ev? Which doesn’t correlate to any of the options given to me :oldconfused:

vela said:
It doesn't look like any of the possible answers is correct. The energy of the photon is 3.54 eV. If there is a photocurrent, the work function of the metal must be less than this.

You could save yourself a bit of time and reduce the chance of an error by spending a few minutes to learn to work with electron-volts instead of joules.

Yep have given this a try when working with electron volts and I get a value of work function to be 1.99ev; which doesn’t match up to any of the options like you have mentioned earlier

Related to What is the work function of a metal?

1. What is the work function of a metal?

The work function of a metal is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of the metal and move it to a point outside the metal's surface.

2. How is the work function of a metal measured?

The work function of a metal is typically measured using a technique called photoemission spectroscopy. This involves shining light of a known energy onto the metal surface and measuring the energy of the emitted electrons.

3. What factors affect the work function of a metal?

The work function of a metal is influenced by a few factors, including the type of metal, its crystal structure, and the presence of impurities on its surface.

4. Why is the work function of a metal important?

The work function of a metal is important because it determines how easily electrons can be emitted from the metal's surface. This is crucial in many applications, such as in electronic devices and solar cells.

5. Can the work function of a metal be changed?

Yes, the work function of a metal can be altered by changing its surface conditions, such as by introducing impurities or applying an electric field. It can also be affected by temperature and the presence of other materials in its vicinity.