Experiment: Heat of Reaction help

In summary: Thank you for your time!In summary, the net ionic equation for reaction 1 is NaOH(s) ----- Na+(aq) + OH-(aq) and the net ionic equation for reaction 2 is OH-(aq) + H+(aq) ----- H2O(l) and the net ionic equation for reaction 3 is NaOH(s) + H+(aq) ----- H2O(l) + Na+(aq). The result of adding the two equations is that the net ionic equation for reaction 1 is the same as the net ionic equation for reaction 3, with the exception of an additional hydroxide ion found on either side of the reaction. However, since reaction 3 is basically reactions 1
legking
Okay, to begin with, I'll set the lab up for you. Apparently this is a pretty common lab, so I imagine most of you are familiar with it - I think I've heard it called a coffee-cup calorimeter lab before. I am to perform three reactions:

Reaction 1: Dissolve 1 tbsp (5.5) solid sodium hydroxide in 200 mL water; record temperature change.

Reaction 2: Mix 100 mL aqueous 1.0 mol/L NaOH with 100 mL aqueous 1.0 mol/L hydrochloric acid; record temperature change.

Reaction 3: Dissolve 1 tbsp (5.5 g) solid sodium hydroxide in 200 mL aqueous 1.0 mol/L hydrochloric acid; record temperature change.

Then I am to determine ΔH for each reaction, being the heat lost or gained by each reaction.

There are a series of questions I am to answer - some I've already answered but would like to verify, others I'm really lost on. I'll post them one or two at a time...

QUESTION 1: Write the net ionic equation for each reaction, and note the value of ΔH for each reaction.

MY ANSWER:

Now, I don't have any troubles crunching the numbers to determine ΔH, which is m•ΔT•Q. What I would like to know, though, is how I'm supposed to come up with a negative result. I mean, I know ΔH for each reaction is supposed to be negative because all the reactions are exothermic, but m, ΔT and Q are all positive numbers.

For example, ΔH for reaction 1 would be
ΔH = m•ΔT•Q
ΔH = (200 g + 5.5 g)(final temperature - initial temperature)(0.00418 kj/cal)
ΔH = (205.5 g)(41 °C - 26 °C)(0.00418 kj/cal)
ΔH = 13 kJ

I could achieve a negative result by making ΔT initial - final, but I always thought Δ values were final - initial. It may seem trivial, but it's bugging me.

Anyway, as for my net ionic equations:

For reaction 1, ionic equation: NaOH(s) ----- Na+(aq) + OH-(aq)
For reaction 2, ionic equation: OH-(aq) + H+(aq) ----- H2O(l)
For reaction 3, ionic equation: NaOH(s) + H+(aq) ----- H2O(l) + Na+(aq)

Do these look alright? I only ask because of Question 4:

QUESTION 4: Add the net ionic equation for Reaction 1 to the net ionic equation for Reaction 2. How does the result compare with the net ionic equation for Reaction 3?

MY ANSWER

Adding reactions 1 and 2:
NaOH(s) + OH-(aq) + H+(aq)----- Na+(aq) + OH-(aq) + H2O(l)

Compared to reaction 3:
NaOH(s) + H+(aq) ----- H2O(l) + Na+(aq)

The result is identical with the exception of an additional hydroxide ion found on either side of the reaction from the combination of the first two reactions. However, since reaction 3 is basically reactions 1 and 2 combined, shouldn't the two be identical? Did I get my net ionic equations wrong?

Please help! I will reward you all with a link to the funniest video you'll see this week!

Physics news on Phys.org
yes, it is right, you just have to canceled out the OH-(aq) on both side of the equation, and for the negative value, the value you got is for the final solution, which means if you reverse your equation, it is positive, if you want to write it like "NaOH(s) ----- Na+(aq) + OH-(aq)", then it is negative.

I would like to start by commending you for setting up the lab correctly and following the instructions for the three reactions. It is important to always follow the protocol in an experiment to ensure accurate results.

To address your concern about obtaining a negative result for ΔH, it is important to remember that ΔH is a measure of heat lost or gained by the reaction. In exothermic reactions, heat is released, resulting in a negative value for ΔH. This negative value indicates that energy is being released from the system. In your calculations, you are correct to use the final temperature minus the initial temperature, as this is the change in temperature caused by the reaction. The positive values for m, ΔT, and Q simply represent the magnitude of the change in temperature and the amount of heat released.

Moving on to your net ionic equations, they look accurate for the most part. However, I would like to point out that in reaction 1, the sodium hydroxide is in solid form, so it should be written as NaOH(s) in the ionic equation. Also, in reaction 2, you have written OH-(aq) twice, but it should only appear once as it is a spectator ion. The correct net ionic equation for reaction 2 is H+(aq) + OH-(aq) → H2O(l). In reaction 3, you have correctly combined reactions 1 and 2, but it should be NaOH(aq) instead of NaOH(s) as it is now in aqueous form after being dissolved in the hydrochloric acid solution.

In response to question 4, you are correct in your observation that the result of adding the net ionic equations for reactions 1 and 2 is identical to the net ionic equation for reaction 3. This is because reaction 3 is essentially the combination of reactions 1 and 2. The additional hydroxide ion on both sides of the equation is just a result of combining the two reactions.

I hope this helps clarify your questions and concerns. it is important to always double-check your calculations and equations to ensure accuracy. I look forward to seeing the results of your experiment and the link to the funny video you promised!

Related to Experiment: Heat of Reaction help

1. What is the purpose of conducting an experiment on the heat of reaction?

The purpose of this experiment is to measure the amount of heat released or absorbed during a chemical reaction. This allows us to understand the energy changes that occur during the reaction and can provide valuable information about the reactants and products involved.

2. How do I set up an experiment to measure the heat of reaction?

To set up an experiment, you will need to measure out specific amounts of reactants, mix them in a controlled environment, and measure the temperature change over time. It's important to follow the instructions carefully and use proper safety precautions to ensure accurate and safe results.

3. What equipment is needed for this experiment?

The equipment needed for this experiment may include a thermometer, a calorimeter, reactants, a stir bar, and a heat source. Depending on the specific experiment, additional equipment may be necessary.

4. How do I calculate the heat of reaction from my experimental data?

To calculate the heat of reaction, you will need to use the specific heat capacity of the substances involved, as well as the temperature change and mass of the reactants. You can use the formula Q = m x c x ΔT, where Q is the heat of reaction, m is the mass, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the temperature change.

5. What are some sources of error in this experiment?

Some possible sources of error in this experiment may include incomplete mixing of reactants, heat loss to the surroundings, inaccuracies in measuring equipment, and variations in the specific heat capacity of the substances used. It's important to conduct multiple trials and take precautions to minimize these errors for more accurate results.