Experiment finding particles travelling faster than light

In summary, there have been conflicting reports about the discovery of particles traveling faster than the speed of light. While a Los Angeles Times article reported a repeat of the experiment that did not match the same speed, a BBC article claimed that the experiment was repeated with the same speed. However, it has been shown that the original experiment was flawed due to a hardware malfunction, specifically a loose fiber optic cable.
find_the_fun
Has the discovery of particles traveling faster than the speed of light had any more backing or refuting? A Los Angeles Times Article talked of a repeat of the experiment that does not match the same speed. However in a BBC article claims they repeated the experiment with the same speed. Now I'm confused:confused:

I would provide links but my post count is not high enough.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe it has been shown the experiment that suggested the existence of FTL neutrinos was flawed due to a hardware malfunction (loose cable).

Bacterius said:
I believe it has been shown the experiment that suggested the existence of FTL neutrinos was flawed due to a hardware malfunction (loose cable).
Right. It was a loose fiber optic cable, to be exact.

Related to Experiment finding particles travelling faster than light

1. Can particles really travel faster than light?

Currently, the general consensus among scientists is that particles cannot travel faster than the speed of light. This is based on Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe.

2. What evidence supports the claim of particles travelling faster than light?

In 2011, a team of scientists at CERN reported the observation of neutrinos travelling faster than the speed of light. However, this result was later found to be due to a technical error in the experiment.

3. How do scientists conduct experiments to test the speed of particles?

Scientists use high-energy particle accelerators to accelerate particles to nearly the speed of light. They then use instruments to measure the time it takes for the particles to travel a certain distance, allowing them to calculate the particle's speed.

4. What are the implications if particles are found to travel faster than light?

If particles are found to travel faster than light, it would challenge our current understanding of physics and could potentially lead to the development of new theories and technologies. However, it is important to note that this claim has not been verified and is currently considered to be highly unlikely.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of conducting experiments on particles travelling faster than light?

Conducting experiments on particles travelling faster than light requires highly specialized and expensive equipment, as well as a thorough understanding of complex physics theories. There is also the risk of misinterpretation or errors in the experiments, leading to incorrect conclusions.