Experiement of determining specifc latent heat of vapourisation

In summary, the author is trying to explain why heat loss is the same in both cases, provided the time is the same. However, he is confused because the diagram of setup his teacher gave him has NO LAGGING. He found something in a book that says H is negligible if we do 2 experiments and eliminate H from the two equations. He is also confused because the mass lost in the second part of the experiment is not equal to the mass lost in the first part of the experiment.
lionely

Homework Statement

Explain why heat loss is the same in both cases, provided the time is the same.

Homework Equations

VIt = mL + H

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it the same because in both cases I'm asked to boil off 50g of alcohol?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I realize what I said really makes no sense... I found something in a book that says H is negligible if we do 2 experiments and eliminate H from the two equations and H is also relatively small due to lagging but I'm confused because the diagram of setup my teacher gave me has NO LAGGING.

What 'both cases'? Have you forgoten to attach something?

umm here's the method of experiment
method : Set up the apparatus as in the diagram of the experiment. Choose
a voltage setting by sliding the slider of the potentiometer. Record
the readings on the voltmeter and the ammeter. Bring the liquid
to boil. After boiling for 30 seconds, start your stopwatch and note
the time taken to boil away 50g of the alcohol. Repeat the
procedure with different values of V and I but with the same
time, t. Theory states that the thermal energy supplied after the
liquid has started to boil is equal to the heat required to boil off a
a mass m of the liquid plus the heat lost to the surroundings,
H .i.e.

VIt= mL + H

where V is the voltmeter reading, I is the ammeter reading,
m is the mass of the liquid boiled off, t is the time, L is the
Specific Latent Heat of Vapourisation of alcohol.

Note , since the same time is used in both parts of the experiment, then
H may be eliminated by subtraction. Explain why heat loss is the same in both cases, provided the time is the same. Calculate the Specific Latent Heat of Vapourisation of alcohol and state its unit.

Why didn't you post all that the first time? There's no chance of making a useful reply to the original post.
The question could have been better worded. No, you are not expected to boil off 50g in both cases. In fact, you don't need to boil off exactly 50g in either case. it should say about 50g the first time. The second time it's whatever happens to boil off in the same time period. The important thing is that you measure how much boiled off in each case.
How would varying t affect H?

t will affect the magnitude of H

Right. So if you conduct the measurements (voltage, current, mass lost) over the same time period each time, will H be the same? If not, why not?

Umm I believe H will be the same, since the liquid is at it's boiling point each time?
and since it's the same t the amount of energy should practically be the same right?

Yes.
Does that answer all your questions?

Yes I believe so, thank you so much

Sorry ignore this post I had two tabs open and posted in the wrong thread.

Related to Experiement of determining specifc latent heat of vapourisation

1. What is an experiment to determine specific latent heat of vapourisation?

The experiment involves heating a liquid until it reaches its boiling point, and then recording the temperature at which it turns into vapor. The energy required to turn the liquid into vapor is then calculated using the formula Q = mL, where Q is the energy, m is the mass of the liquid, and L is the specific latent heat of vaporisation.

2. What materials and equipment are needed for this experiment?

You will need a heat source, such as a Bunsen burner or hot plate, a thermometer, a beaker or flask to hold the liquid, a balance to measure the mass of the liquid, and a stopwatch or timer. You will also need the liquid you are testing, such as water, and any necessary safety equipment.

3. How do you ensure accurate results in this experiment?

To ensure accurate results, it is important to carefully measure the mass of the liquid, use a precise thermometer, and record the temperature at regular intervals. It is also important to use a consistent heat source and maintain a constant temperature throughout the experiment.

4. What factors can affect the results of the experiment?

The results of the experiment can be affected by factors such as external temperature changes, variations in the heat source, and the accuracy of the equipment. It is important to control these factors as much as possible to obtain reliable results.

5. Why is determining specific latent heat of vapourisation important?

Determining the specific latent heat of vapourisation is important in understanding the energy required for a substance to change from a liquid to a gas. This information can be useful in various applications such as designing heating and cooling systems, calculating energy usage, and understanding thermodynamics.