Expectation values of spin operators

In summary, the conversation discusses the expectation value of Sx, Sy, and Sz in terms of the spinor vector and the formula <Si> = <\psi|Si\psi>. The final answer for <Sx> is given as hbar Re{(\psiup)*\psidown}, which can be derived by setting z = (\psiup)*\psidown and z* = (\psidown)*\psiup. Similarly, the expectation value for Sy is hbar Im{(\psiup)*\psidown} and for Sz is hbar/2 (|\psiup|2 - |\psidown|2). The conversation also mentions a lack of knowledge of an identity with complex numbers
InsertName
Hi, I've found the expectation value of Sz, which is hbar/2 (|[tex]\psi[/tex]up|2 - |[tex]\psi[/tex]down|2) by using the formula:

<Si> = <[tex]\psi[/tex]|Si[tex]\psi[/tex]> where i can bex, y or z and [tex]\psi[/tex] is the 'spinor' vector.

I tried to find Sx using the same formula, however, I could only get as far as:

hbar/2 (([tex]\psi[/tex]up)*[tex]\psi[/tex]down + ([tex]\psi[/tex]down)*[tex]\psi[/tex]up)

In my lecture notes, it has the (final) answer (only) as hbar Re{([tex]\psi[/tex]up)*[tex]\psi[/tex]down}.

Similarly, for Sy it gives the expectation value of hbar Im{([tex]\psi[/tex]up)*[tex]\psi[/tex]down}.

I'm not sure how to get from my answer for <Sx> to the one in the notes. I'm assuming it's just a lack of knowledge of some identity with complex numbers.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Let [itex]z=x+iy[/itex]. Its conjugate is [itex]\bar{z}=x-iy[/itex]. What are [itex]z+\bar{z}[/itex] and [itex]z-\bar{z}[/itex] equal to?

Thanks for the reply.

So, is it just a case of:

<Sx> = [tex]\frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex](([tex]\psiup[/tex])*[tex]\psi[/tex]down + ([tex]\psi[/tex]down)*[tex]\psi[/tex]up))

Let z = ([tex]\psiup[/tex])*[tex]\psi[/tex]down
Let z* = ([tex]\psi[/tex]down)*[tex]\psi[/tex]up)

z+z* = 2Re(z)

Therefore, [tex]\left\langle[/tex]Sx[tex]\right\rangle[/tex] = 2Re(z).

This is why I hate LaTeX!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<S_x> = (hbar/2)((psi-up)*(psi-down) + (psi-down)*(psi-up))

Let z = (psi-up)*(psi-down)
Let z* = (psi-down)*(psi-up)

z+z* = 2Re(z)

Therefore <S_x> = 2Re((psi-up)*(psi-down))

Thank you.

Last edited:
Yup.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your findings and questions about expectation values of spin operators. It seems like you have a good understanding of the formula for calculating expectation values, <Si> = <\psi|Si\psi>, where i can be x, y, or z. However, I can see where you might be confused about the solution for Sx in your lecture notes.

The key to understanding the difference between your solution and the one in the notes lies in the use of complex numbers. In quantum mechanics, we often use complex numbers to represent the spin states of particles. The spinors you mention, \psiup and \psidown, are actually complex numbers representing the spin states "up" and "down". This means that when we take the inner product <\psiup|\psidown>, we are actually taking the complex conjugate of \psiup and multiplying it by \psidown. This is why your solution for Sx includes terms like (\psiup)*\psidown and (\psidown)*\psiup.

To simplify the expression for Sx, we can use the fact that the complex conjugate of a complex number is equal to its conjugate multiplied by -1. This means that we can rewrite <Sx> as:

hbar/2 ((\psiup)*\psidown + (\psidown)*\psiup) = hbar/2 ((\psiup)*\psidown - (\psiup)*\psidown) = 0

This is why the final answer for <Sx> in your lecture notes is only hbar Re{(\psiup)*\psidown}. Since the imaginary terms cancel out, we are left with the real part of the expression.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concept of complex numbers in quantum mechanics and how they relate to the expectation values of spin operators. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work in your studies!

Related to Expectation values of spin operators

1. What is the concept of "expectation values" in spin operators?

Expectation values in spin operators refer to the average value of a physical observable, such as spin, in a quantum mechanical system. It is calculated by taking the sum of all possible outcomes of a measurement, weighted by their probabilities.

2. How are expectation values of spin operators related to quantum mechanics?

Expectation values of spin operators are a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, as they allow us to make predictions about the behavior of particles at the quantum level. They are used to determine the average spin of a particle, which can have different values depending on its state.

3. What are the different types of spin operators that have expectation values?

The three most commonly used spin operators are the x, y, and z spin operators. These correspond to measurements of spin along the x-axis, y-axis, and z-axis, respectively. Each of these operators has its own associated expectation value, which can be calculated using quantum mechanical equations.

4. How do expectation values of spin operators change in different quantum states?

The expectation values of spin operators can vary depending on the quantum state of a particle. For example, in an equal superposition state, all spin operators will have an expectation value of 0, indicating that the particle has an equal chance of being measured with spin in either direction. In other states, such as a pure spin-up state, the expectation values will be either +1 or -1, depending on the spin direction.

5. What is the importance of expectation values of spin operators in quantum computing?

Expectation values of spin operators play a crucial role in quantum computing, as they are used to measure the state of qubits (quantum bits). By manipulating and measuring the expectation values of spin operators, we can perform operations and calculations on qubits, which are the building blocks of quantum computers. Additionally, understanding the behavior of spin operators is essential for developing and improving quantum algorithms and protocols.