Expansion in spherical harmonics sin(theta)

In summary, "Expansion in spherical harmonics sin(theta)" is a mathematical method used to represent a function on a sphere in terms of spherical harmonics multiplied by the sine of the polar angle (theta). Spherical harmonics are a set of mathematical functions that can be used to represent functions on a sphere, similar to the Fourier series for functions on a line. The use of the sine of the polar angle in this expansion allows for a unique representation of the function as it is an orthogonal basis function for functions on a sphere. This expansion is used to simplify the representation of functions on a sphere, making it a useful tool in various fields such as physics, engineering, and geophysics. Some practical applications of "Expansion in spherical harmonics
Gerenuk

Homework Statement

I want to expand sin(theta) in spherical harmonics.
Well, actually I want
(3cos^2(theta+45°)-1)*exp(i*(psi+45°))
but I think I could find my mistake by the above simple example.

Homework Equations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_harmonics

The Attempt at a Solution

I seem to get zero for all coefficients by the integrals from wikipedia.
Can I not expand along an arbitrary axis?

Physics news on Phys.org
The coefficients are not all zero. For instance, the first coefficient is proportional to:

[tex]f_{0}^0 \alpha \int^{2\pi}_{0}d\phi\int^{\pi}_{0}d\theta sin^{2}(\theta)=\pi^2[/tex]

Related to Expansion in spherical harmonics sin(theta)

What is "Expansion in spherical harmonics sin(theta)"?

"Expansion in spherical harmonics sin(theta)" is a mathematical method used to represent a function on a sphere in terms of spherical harmonics multiplied by the sine of the polar angle (theta).

What are spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics are a set of mathematical functions that can be used to represent functions on a sphere. They are analogous to the Fourier series, which represents functions on a line.

Why is the sine of the polar angle used in this expansion?

The sine of the polar angle is used because it is an orthogonal basis function for functions on a sphere. This means that it is perpendicular to other basis functions and allows for a unique representation of the function.

What is the purpose of using this expansion?

The purpose of using this expansion is to simplify the representation of functions on a sphere. It allows for a compact and efficient way to represent complex functions and can be used in various applications such as in physics, engineering, and geophysics.

What are some practical applications of "Expansion in spherical harmonics sin(theta)"?

This expansion has many practical applications, such as in atmospheric and oceanic sciences to model global climate patterns, in geology to map the Earth's magnetic field, and in computer graphics to create realistic 3D models of objects. It is also used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of electrons in atoms and molecules.