Expanding Universe - weakening gravity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility that the universe's expansion could be caused by a weakening of gravity rather than the existence of dark energy or dark matter. There is also mention of how this weakening of gravity could be related to local conditions and how it could affect planetary orbits and galaxies. The conversation ends with a discussion about the source of gravity and whether it is universal or specific to individual systems.
Scott Sieger
Please excuse the simplistic approach to the following question.

If one accepts that the universe is indeed expanding could this not be simply because the relative strength of gravity has or is diminishing?

Instead of suggestions of dark energy and or dark matter to make equations make sense could it just be gavitational weakening?

I am sorry if this question appears ill informed but I wished to dsicuss this issue all the same.

In support the hypothesis a friend did some math for me to relate universal expansion to local circumstances ( Earths orbit)

At the same time if you consider the observed universe radius of 13.5 Billion LYr and that Earth is 8.5 LMin from the sun then a 1 LYr change in the universe radius would equal 1.1979E-15 LYr change in Earth's orbit. That would be equal to 11.33 meters.

Since the fastest observed recession body seems to be around 0.95 c that would mean in one year we should see something on the order of 10 3/4 meters change in Earth's orbit.

Even though this figure of 10.75 meters is an abstract figure and could have a significant error margin. in that the measurement could be from 0.001 meters to 1000 meters or so...I find it amazing that the figure has come in so low.
Taking universal expansion figures and applying them to Earths orbit.
Following the logic it seems concievable that a weakening of gravity could be responsible for the universes expansion.

Is this worth pursuing?

Space news on Phys.org
No. Local gravitational effects are far stronger than the force of expansion. The planets [at least those left after the sun goes red giant] will remain in orbit around the sun long after the rest of the universe recedes out of view.

my contention:

If the force that holds the universe together ( gravity ) diminishes then the angular momentum of matter with in this universe would be flung outwards thus increasing the size of the universe without increasing it's mass.

A microscopic change in local conditions *could* indicate a a reason for this increase in size universally.

If one assumes the veracity of Newtonian gravity then wouldn't this contention make sense?

Local gravitational effects are far stronger than the force of expansion.
I would contend that the force of expansion is actually a lacking in force rather than an increase of force.

hypothetically any way...

Gravity gets weaker with distance, inverse square law thing.

maybe i should put it this wasy:

Assume that we have a stable non-expanding universe. Then for some reason gravity starts to weaken universally...(sharing a common source) What would be the effect?

planetary orbits would fly apart, galaxies would fly apart, nothing dramatic.

Scott;

I think you have a good point. Everyone knows that all systems are giving up mass/energy through EMR. Therefore, the gravitation effect would decrease over time since a systems mass decreases over time.

Chronos said:
Gravity gets weaker with distance, inverse square law thing.

I agree with Chronos...

I do not think gravity draws from a "universal source", but from many distinct sources interacting with each other. "Local systems" interacting amongst its own elements are less likely to change verses interactions between other systems that are more distant from each other.

Related to Expanding Universe - weakening gravity?

1. How does a weakening of gravity contribute to the expansion of the universe?

The weakening of gravity is thought to contribute to the expansion of the universe by allowing matter to spread out more easily. As gravity weakens, the attractive forces between particles become weaker, making it easier for them to move apart. This results in the expansion of the universe as the space between particles increases.

2. What evidence supports the idea of a weakening of gravity in the expanding universe?

One major piece of evidence for a weakening of gravity in the expanding universe is the observation of distant galaxies moving away from us at an accelerating rate. This is in line with the predictions of theories that suggest gravity is becoming weaker over time.

3. Could there be other factors contributing to the expansion of the universe besides a weakening of gravity?

Yes, there are other factors that could potentially contribute to the expansion of the universe, such as dark energy and the cosmological constant. However, the weakening of gravity is currently the most widely accepted explanation for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

4. How does the weakening of gravity affect the formation of large structures in the universe?

The weakening of gravity is thought to play a crucial role in the formation of large structures in the universe, such as galaxies and galaxy clusters. As gravity weakens, it becomes easier for matter to clump together, leading to the formation of these structures over time.

5. Is it possible for gravity to reverse its weakening and cause the universe to contract again?

While it is theoretically possible for gravity to eventually become stronger again, current observations and theories suggest that the weakening of gravity will continue to contribute to the expansion of the universe. However, the ultimate fate of the universe is still a topic of ongoing research and debate among scientists.