Expanding universe and Conservation of energy.

In summary, the universe is expanding and it does so at a slower rate than the speed of light. So what happens when light hits "the edge of the universe"? Presumably, the energy from the light is transformed into something else. The conservation of energy law states that energy in a closed system cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transformed. This is an interesting question, as it begs the question of where the energy goes when it reaches the edge of the universe.
Alistair
It is accepted that the universe is expanding yes? and it is also expanding at a slower rate than the speed of light. therefore what happens when light hits "the edge of the universe"? where does this energy go? and i know that the universe is "everything" but if the universe is 'expanding' then it must have an edge to it. a point at which the universe 'ends' and a point where 'nothing' starts. and the conservation of energy LAW states that 'energy in a closed system cannot be created or destroyed,it can only be transformed.' so back to my question. where does the energy from the light that hits this 'barrier' go?

Space news on Phys.org
John Baez wrote a brief article on this subject:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/energy_gr.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is illogical to apply the concept of a physical 'boundary' to the observable universe. This implies a preferred reference frame that would also insist the universe also has a 'center'.

Alistair said:
It is accepted that the universe is expanding yes? and it is also expanding at a slower rate than the speed of light. therefore what happens when light hits "the edge of the universe"? where does this energy go?...
What did you mean by "and it is also expanding at a slower rate than the speed of light"? I think it is accepted that the apparent recession speed of galaxies outside of our observable universe is larger than c.

Oh gosh, here we go again.. When you say 'moving faster than the speed of light', identify the frames you are talking about.

Jorrie said:
What did you mean by "and it is also expanding at a slower rate than the speed of light"? I think it is accepted that the apparent recession speed of galaxies is larger than c.

I would like to point out that "galaxies outside of our observable universe" would be part of another system wouldn't they? and thus do not factor into the conservation of energy law.

Last edited:
Haelfix said:
Oh gosh, here we go again.. When you say 'moving faster than the speed of light', identify the frames you are talking about.
Not clear which statement from which post you refer to, but if it goes about my: "... apparent recession speed of galaxies ...", then the frame is obvious, is it not?

Granted, redshift and recession speed outside of our observable universe may be meaningless, but the context is Alistair's statement: "It is accepted that the universe is expanding yes? And it is also expanding at a slower rate than the speed of light…" I wanted the poster to state what this means.

Alistair said:
I would like to point out that "galaxies outside of our observable universe" would be part of another system wouldn't they? and thus do not factor into the conservation of energy law.
I would not quite call regions outside of our observable universe "part of another system"! The flat LambdaCDM model assumes that the universe is infinite in size. In practice it must be at least many times larger than what we can observe.

In any case, we may be wasting time on semantics. The real issue is whether energy is conserved in the universe. This has been debated in other threads and ST has given you a link about it above.

Related to Expanding universe and Conservation of energy.

1. What evidence supports the idea of an expanding universe?

The expansion of the universe was first observed by astronomer Edwin Hubble in the 1920s through his observations of distant galaxies. He noticed that these galaxies appeared to be moving away from us, and the farther away they were, the faster they were moving. This is known as Hubble's Law and provides strong evidence for the expansion of the universe.

2. How does the expansion of the universe relate to conservation of energy?

The expansion of the universe does not violate the law of conservation of energy. While the total energy in the universe may be changing, the amount of energy in a closed system remains constant. As the universe expands, the energy is simply spread out over a larger space, maintaining the total energy of the system.

3. Does the expansion of the universe have an effect on the conservation of mass?

Similar to energy, the expansion of the universe does not affect the conservation of mass. While the total mass in the universe may be changing, the amount of mass within a closed system remains constant. The expansion of the universe simply causes the matter to spread out over a larger space, maintaining the total mass of the system.

4. What is the role of dark energy in the expanding universe?

Dark energy is a theoretical form of energy that is believed to be responsible for the acceleration of the expansion of the universe. While the exact nature of dark energy is still not fully understood, it is thought to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe.

5. Can the expansion of the universe be reversed?

Based on current scientific understanding, it is unlikely that the expansion of the universe can be reversed. The expansion is driven by dark energy, which is believed to be a fundamental property of space itself. Additionally, the expansion is accelerating, making it even more difficult to reverse. However, future discoveries and advancements in science may change our understanding of the expansion and its potential reversibility.