Expanding the Domain of a Function

In summary, the conversation is about a problem regarding the expansion of a real function on a given definition area. The function is f(x)=Xx for X ∈ (0,∞) and the definition area is expanded to [0,∞), while ensuring that the function remains continuous. There is a discussion about the value of f(0) and the use of Taylor series to evaluate it. One participant shares a graph to illustrate the solution, while another participant provides a counterargument using the Taylor series. The conversation ends with a clarification about the radius of convergence for Taylor series.
fridtern
Hi I'm having some problems with an task in my class.

It's as follows

Given the real function f(x)=Xx for X ∈ (0,∞).

Then I'm to expand the definition area to [0,∞), f shall still be continuous. What does f(0) have to be?

Thanks for any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: x^x [0,∞)

fridtern said:

It's as follows

Then I'm to expand the definition area to [0,∞), f shall still be continuous. What does f(0) have to be?

http://mathhelpboards.com/analysis-50/never-ending-dispute-2060.html

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Re: x^x [0,∞)

There is no analytic, or even meromorphic or even a well-defined extension of x^x at x = 0. You can calculate the neighborhood of that particular function around zero, however.

A well-defined AC on C\{0} can be obtained by choosing appropriate branches of complex logs for the function exp(x log(x)).

fridtern said:

It's as follows

Hi fridtern, and welcome to MHB! This graph may help you :

[graph]x9fjteythg[/graph] (Click on the graph for an enlargement.)

Nobody is saying that the extension should be analytic or meromorphic. But the limit \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\searrow0}x^x\) clearly exists, and provides a continuous extension for $f(x)$ at $x=0.$

Opalg said:
But the limit \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\searrow0}x^x\) clearly exists, and provides a continuous extension for $f(x)$ at $x=0.$

As I have already indicated, the neighborhood can be used instead of that particular point instead, so indeed that stands.

Opalg said:
Hi fridtern, and welcome to MHB! This graph may help you :

[graph]x9fjteythg[/graph] (Click on the graph for an enlargement.)

Nobody is saying that the extension should be analytic or meromorphic. But the limit \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\searrow0}x^x\) clearly exists, and provides a continuous extension for $f(x)$ at $x=0.$

I think that this graph, kindly supplied by 'Monster Wolfram' may help fridtern even more!...

http://www.123homepage.it/u/i79405929._szw380h285_.jpg.jfifThe basis to arrive to this result lies on the identity $\displaystyle x^{x} = e^{x\ \ln x}$ and, because the function $\displaystyle f(x) = x\ \ln x$ is defined for any value real or complex of x, the same is for $g(x)= e^{f(x)}$. The 'objection' regarding the value of f(x) in x=0 has been 'disproved' in my post 'A neved ending dispute...' with the following steps... a) the Taylor expansion of $f(x)= x\ \ln x$ around x=1 is...

$\displaystyle f(x) = x\ \ln x = (x-1) + \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} (-1)^{n}\ \frac{(x-1)^{n}}{n\ (n-1)}\ (1)$

b) setting in (1) x=0 the series becomes...

$\displaystyle f(0) = -1 + 1 - \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{3} + ... \frac{1}{n-1} - \frac{1}{n} + ... = 0\ (2)$

An important point that has to remarked is that the (2) doesn't mean $\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} f(x) = 0$ because x remain 'fixed' at 0 and is n which tends to infinity... the (20) means simply $f(0) = 0$... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
First things first, your calculation of (2) seems false, as at x = 0 in (1) is log(4) - 2 which is definitely not 0. Check your calculation of the Taylor series.

mathbalarka said:
First things first, your calculation of (2) seems false, as at x = 0 in (1) is log(4) - 2 which is definitely not 0. Check your calculation of the Taylor series.

I apologize for the fact that I badly reported a formula from my old notes... the correct formula is... $\displaystyle f(x)= x\ \ln x = (x-1) + \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} (-1)^{n}\ \frac{(x-1)^{n}}{n\ (n-1)}\ (1)$Sorry again! :(...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Okay, nothing to apologize about, we all do mistakes.

Now, about the continuation, you cannot use the Taylor series to evaluate at x = 0, or equivalently x - 1 = 1, as the theory says it's radius of convergence is |x - 1| < 1.

Balarka

mathbalarka said:
Okay, nothing to apologize about, we all do mistakes.

Now, about the continuation, you cannot use the Taylor series to evaluate at x = 0, or equivalently x - 1 = 1, as the theory says it's radius of convergence is |x - 1| < 1.

Balarka

As far as I remember the 'theory' says something different... and precisely that a Taylor expansion around $x_{0}$ of an f(x) that is analytic in $x=x_{0}$ converges for all $|x-x_{0}| < r$ and diverges for all $|x-x_{0}| > r$, where r is called 'radious of convergence'. An obvious question is: what does it happen on the radious of convergence, i.e. where is $|x - x_{0}| = r$?... the response may be different for different f(x)... sometimes it coverges everywhere, sometime it diverges everywhere and sometime it converges in some points and diverges in some other points... in the case of 'my' Taylor expansion of $f(x) = x\ \ln x$ it converges everywhere on $|x-1|=1$... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
fridtern said:

It's as follows

Thank you everyone for great help understanding the math in this :) ended up using something called L'Hôpitals rule.
Here it's explained, (in norwegian, but math is an internasional language :) )
L'H

fridtern said:
Thank you everyone for great help understanding the math in this :) ended up using something called L'Hôpitals rule.
Here it's explained, (in norwegian, but math is an international language :) )
L'H

Although I am ever been very suspicious of a left-handed person [expecially if woman! ;)...], I have to say that Inge Christin did a very good lesson!... only one aspect has to be pointed out, i.e. that l'Hopital rule is a very performant method for finding the $\lim_{ x \rightarrow a} f(x)$ and in general it nothing say about f(a) because f(x) can be not continuous in x = a...Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to Expanding the Domain of a Function

1. What does it mean to expand the domain of a function?

Expanding the domain of a function means to increase the set of input values, or the independent variable, for which the function is defined. This can be done by including additional values that were previously excluded or by extending the range of values that the function can take.

2. Why would you want to expand the domain of a function?

Expanding the domain of a function allows you to solve a wider range of problems and make the function more versatile. It can also help in finding the maximum or minimum values of a function by including more input values.

3. How do you expand the domain of a function algebraically?

To expand the domain of a function algebraically, you can use operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and composition. For example, you can add a constant to the function to shift the domain to the right, or multiply the function by a constant to stretch or compress the domain.

4. Can expanding the domain of a function change its shape?

Yes, expanding the domain of a function can change its shape. By expanding the domain, you are essentially changing the values that the function can take, which can affect the overall shape of the function. For example, expanding the domain of a quadratic function can change it from a parabola to a U-shaped curve.

5. Are there any limitations to expanding the domain of a function?

Yes, there are limitations to expanding the domain of a function. One limitation is that the new input values must still be valid for the function. For example, if the function is defined for real numbers, you cannot include imaginary numbers in the expanded domain. Additionally, expanding the domain too much can result in a function that is too complex or not well-defined.