Expanding exponential fucntions

In summary, the conversation discusses expanding (1+e^(2x)) and (1+e^x)^2, as well as the formula for (a+b)^2. The conversation also mentions a calculus integration problem involving u-substitution and the use of partial fractions to solve 1/(1+e^x). One participant suggests substituting e^x with another variable for the integration problem.
ThomasJR

Homework Statement

Expand (1+e^(2x)), and (1+e^x)^2. Are they any different. I am confused please help

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
How would you expand [tex](a+b)^2[/tex]?

Also, there's really nothing to do in expanding 1 + e2x.

I want to see how you guys expand it because i am stuck with a calculus integration problems which asks me to use u-substitution.
Integrate , 1/(1+e^x) Without using partial functions

What is the formula for (a+b)² ?

Now you take a=1 and b=e^x.

ThomasJR said:
I want to see how you guys expand it because i am stuck with a calculus integration problems which asks me to use u-substitution.
Integrate , 1/(1+e^x) Without using partial functions

Use the hint from Micromass to expand (1 + ex)2.

As far as your integration problem is concerned, partial fractions (not partial functions) is not the way to go to integrate 1/(1 + e^x).

Yeah, for the integration, I would substitute e^x with something else...

Related to Expanding exponential fucntions

1. What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function of the form f(x) = ab^x, where a is a constant and b is the base. It is characterized by a rapid increase or decrease in value as the input, x, increases.

2. What does it mean for an exponential function to expand?

Expanding an exponential function means that the base, b, is greater than 1, causing the function to rapidly increase in value as x increases. This results in a steep curve on a graph.

3. How do you graph an expanding exponential function?

To graph an expanding exponential function, plot a few points by substituting different values of x into the function. Then, connect the points with a smooth curve. Remember to label the axes and include a key for the base, b, and the initial value, a.

4. What are some real-life examples of expanding exponential functions?

Some real-life examples of expanding exponential functions include population growth, compound interest, and the spread of contagious diseases. These phenomena often exhibit rapid growth over time, resulting in a steep increase in value.

5. How can expanding exponential functions be useful in scientific research?

Expanding exponential functions can be useful in predicting and modeling natural phenomena that exhibit rapid growth, such as population growth or the spread of diseases. They can also be used to analyze data and make predictions in fields such as economics, biology, and physics.