Expanding brackets with fractions

So in summary, when expanding brackets with fractions, you have to be careful with the order of operations and make sure to use parentheses when needed to clarify the intended meaning. In this case, the answer is 13/2m2 - 3m.
Gringo123
I have no problem expanding brackets with fractions generally, unless the fraction contains an unknown variable, such as in the following expression:

m/4[6m - 8] + m/2[10m - 2]

I know that the answer is:
12/2m2 - 3m

..but I have no idea how to get to that. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gringo123 said:
I have no problem expanding brackets with fractions generally, unless the fraction contains an unknown variable, such as in the following expression:

m/4[6m - 8] + m/2[10m - 2]

I know that the answer is:
12/2m2 - 3m

..but I have no idea how to get to that. Can anyone help?

Hi Gringo123! :smile:

Don't leave out brackets! :rolleyes:

I think you mean:

[m/4][6m - 8] + [m/2][10m - 2]

= [13/2]m2 - 3m​

Does that help? :smile:

Hello again Tim
Thanks again for helping out.
The fractions are definitiely not in brackets. However, I've probably confused everyone with a typo. The answer should be:

13/2 m2 - 3m

I guess you just multiply each term in the bracket by the term outside.

Gringo123 said:
Hello again Tim
Thanks again for helping out.
The fractions are definitiely not in brackets. However, I've probably confused everyone with a typo. The answer should be:

13/2 m2 - 3m

The fractions definitiely are in brackets.

If they're not, then the [6m - 8] and the [10m - 2] would be on the bottom, and you'd never get the answer given.

tiny-tim said:
Hi Gringo123! :smile:

Don't leave out brackets! :rolleyes:

I think you mean:

[m/4][6m - 8] + [m/2][10m - 2]

= [13/2]m2 - 3m​

Does that help? :smile:
I don't believe the brackets matter in this case. m/4(6m-8) is to be read as (m/4)(6m-8). If the second factor were to be in the denominator as you claim then it should be written as m/(4(6m-8)).
This is how it works in most older calculators that use parenthesis also.

Char. Limit said:
I guess you just multiply each term in the bracket by the term outside.
Yes that's exactly how it's done! :smile:

[tex]\frac{m}{4}(6m-8)+\frac{m}{2}(10m-2)[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{m}{4}(6m)-\frac{m}{4}(8)+\frac{m}{2}(10m)-\frac{m}{2}(2)[/tex]

Mentallic said:
I don't believe the brackets matter in this case. m/4(6m-8) is to be read as (m/4)(6m-8).

No it isn't!

See eg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BODMAS#The_standard_order_of_operations"
Similarly, care must be exercised when using the slash ('/') symbol. The string of characters "1/2x" is interpreted by the above conventions as 1/(2x). If what is meant is (1/2) × x, then it should be written as (1/2)x. Again, the use of parentheses will clarify the meaning and should be used if there is any chance of misinterpretation.

The vagaries of some computer programs don't affect the standard BODMAS rules for human notation! :smile:
Mentallic said:
If the second factor were to be in the denominator as you claim then it should be written as m/(4(6m-8)).
This is how it works in most older calculators that use parenthesis also.

But I'm not an older calculator! …

… I'm still fresh! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Omg you're right!
I guess I've been misinterpreting 1/2x as (1/2)x this whole time! I always took that if you aren't to use parenthesis, then only the very next symbol is in the denominator, in this case, just the 2.

and what if we have 1/2xy. Do I interpret this as [tex]\frac{y}{2x}[/tex] or [tex]\frac{1}{2xy}[/tex]? I'm guessing the latter, because of the new rules I have just learnt! :biggrin:

Mentallic said:
and what if we have 1/2xy. Do I interpret this as [tex]\frac{y}{2x}[/tex] or [tex]\frac{1}{2xy}[/tex]? I'm guessing the latter, because of the new rules I have just learnt! :biggrin:

Yup! 1/2xy = 1/(2xy) :biggrin:

Related to Expanding brackets with fractions

1) How do you expand brackets with fractions?

When expanding brackets with fractions, you first need to multiply the outer term of the bracket by each term inside the bracket. Then, you simplify the resulting fractions by finding the lowest common denominator and adding or subtracting the numerators accordingly.

2) Can fractions be expanded using the FOIL method?

Yes, fractions can be expanded using the FOIL method, which stands for First, Outer, Inner, Last. This means multiplying the first terms, then the outer terms, then the inner terms, and finally the last terms. However, be sure to simplify the resulting fractions afterwards.

3) How do you handle negative fractions when expanding brackets?

When a negative fraction is inside a bracket, you can distribute the negative sign by multiplying it to each term inside the bracket. Then, follow the same steps as expanding with positive fractions.

4) Can you expand brackets with mixed numbers?

Yes, you can expand brackets with mixed numbers. First, convert the mixed numbers to improper fractions. Then, follow the same steps as expanding with regular fractions.

5) Is there a general rule for expanding brackets with fractions?

Yes, the general rule for expanding brackets with fractions is to multiply the outer term of the bracket by each term inside the bracket, and then simplify the resulting fractions. Additionally, remember to distribute any negative signs and handle mixed numbers appropriately.