'Equating the coefficients' question

In summary, the conversation discusses an example in a textbook where the brackets are expanded to get a cubic containing unknowns. The process involves collecting terms involving x^2 and x together. The confusion lies in how the terms are factorized, but it is clarified that the factors can be obtained by multiplying out the terms.
Parsifal1

Homework Statement

Expand the brackets to get a cubic containing the unknowns. This is an example in the textbook but I don't see how they've expanded the brackets to get their answer:

(x-3)(px^2+qx+r)=px^3+(q-3p)x^2+(r-3q)x-3r

Homework Equations

(x-3)(px^2+qx+r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I would have done it how you expand long brackets:

(x-3)(px^2)+(x-3)(qx)+(x-3)(r)=px^3-3px^2...

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, and the next step is to collect all the terms involving x^2 together, and all the terms involving x together...

Likes Parsifal1
pasmith said:
Yes, and the next step is to collect all the terms involving x^2 together, and all the terms involving x together...

What I don't get is how they factorized what you get from expanding: px^3+qx^2+rx-3px^2-3qx-3r. How do you get px^3+(q-3p)x^2+(r-3q)x-3r from that?

Ah, I see if you do (q-3p)x^2 and multiply it out and the same with the other factorized terms, you get the terms you get when you'd first expand it out. I hadn't noticed that px^3+(q-3p)x^2... etc. was a cubic. I need to work on noticing things, I've found. :rolleyes:

Likes SammyS

Related to 'Equating the coefficients' question

1. What is the purpose of an equating the coefficients question?

The purpose of an equating the coefficients question is to compare the coefficients of two equations and determine if they are equivalent, or if they need to be adjusted in order to be equivalent.

2. How do you determine if two equations have equivalent coefficients?

To determine if two equations have equivalent coefficients, you can compare the coefficients of each variable in both equations. If the coefficients are the same for each variable, then the equations are equivalent.

3. What are some strategies for solving an equating the coefficients question?

One strategy for solving an equating the coefficients question is to rearrange the equations so that the variables are on one side and the constants are on the other. Then, compare the coefficients of each variable. Another strategy is to use substitution or elimination to solve for the variables and then compare the coefficients.

4. How can equating the coefficients be applied in real-world situations?

Equating the coefficients can be applied in real-world situations when comparing two similar systems or equations. For example, in physics, equating the coefficients of two equations can help determine if two systems are equivalent or if one needs to be adjusted to match the other.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving an equating the coefficients question?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving an equating the coefficients question include not properly distributing coefficients when rearranging equations, forgetting to compare all variables in the equations, and making errors when solving for variables using substitution or elimination.