Expand function in Laurent series

In summary: So for w=0, these would be:##-\frac{1}{(1+w)^2}=-\frac{1}{1+w}=-\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{k+1}w^k####-\frac{1}{(w+1)^2}=-\frac{1}{(1-(-w))^2}=-\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{k+1}w^k##
skrat

Homework Statement

Expand ##f(z)=\frac{1}{z^2(z-1)}## in Laurent series for ##0<|z-1|<1##. Use binomial series.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am looking at this problem for quite some time now and still I got nothing.

I do however think that this will come in handy ##\frac{1}{z^2(z-1)}=\frac{1}{z}-\frac{1}{z^2}-\frac{1}{z-1}##. That's all I have and not even a clue on how to continue ... Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Update.

Ok, I managed to find some examples http://sym.lboro.ac.uk/resources/Handout-Laurent.pdf and hopefully at least some of the things written below are ok.

In ##f(z)=\frac{1}{z^2(z-1)}## I replace ##w=z-1## so that my open disk ##0<|z-1|=|w|<2## is centered around point ##0##.

So ##f(w)=\frac{1}{w(w+1)^2}=\frac{1}{w}-\frac{1}{w+1}-\frac{1}{(w+1)^2}##.

Now it makes sense to google binomial series and find out that ##\frac{1}{(1-z)^{\beta +1}}=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\binom{k+\beta }{k}z^k##.

Now if I am not completely mistaken than ##\frac{1}{w}=\frac{-1}{-(1-1+w)}=-\frac{1}{1-(1+w)}=-\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}(1+w)^k##.

And similar for ##-\frac{1}{w+1}## and ##-\frac{1}{(w+1)^2}##, which altogether gives me ##f(w)=-\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}[(1+w)^k+(2+w)^k+(1+(1+w)^2)^k]##.

And finally ##f(z)=-\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}[z^k+(z+1)^k+(1+(z)^2)^k]##.Yes or no?

No. You want to expand about z=1 or w=0. You expanded parts of the function about w=1. The series you end up with in the end should consist of powers of (z-1).

Also, the disk is given by 0 < |z-1| < 1. If w=z-1, then you get 0 < |w| < 1, not 0 < |w| < 2.

vela said:
No. You want to expand about z=1 or w=0. You expanded parts of the function about w=1. The series you end up with in the end should consist of powers of (z-1).
Ok, how do I do that?

vela said:
Also, the disk is given by 0 < |z-1| < 1. If w=z-1, then you get 0 < |w| < 1, not 0 < |w| < 2.

I agree, it was mistake.

For example, the term 1/w is already in the form of wn. You don't have to do anything with that term.

Expand ##\frac{1}{1+w}## as a power series in ##w##. (You should memorize this series if you don't already know it.) Differentiate that and you'll get the series for ##{-\frac{1}{(1+w)^2}}##. Put it all together and you have the Laurent series in terms of ##w##.

That's exactly how I wanted to do it, but the problem states that I have to use binomial series. So, of course my next question is what does binomial series have to do with all this? Where do I than use it if not here?

You can use the binomial theorem to expand (1+w)-1 and (1+w)-2.

Remember: ##f(w)=\frac{1}{w(w+1)^2}=\frac{1}{w}-\frac{1}{w+1}-\frac{1}{(w+1)^2}##

Hopefully this sounds a bit better:

##-\frac{1}{w+1}=-\frac{1}{1-(-w)}=-\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\binom{k}{k}(-1)^kw^k=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{k+1}w^k##

and

##-\frac{1}{(w+1)^2}=-\frac{1}{(1-(-w))^2}=-\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\binom{k+1}{k}(-1)^kw^k=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}(k+1)(-1)^{k+1}w^k##

Related to Expand function in Laurent series

1. What is a Laurent series expansion?

A Laurent series is a representation of a complex function as an infinite sum of powers of a variable, with both positive and negative exponents. It is used to extend the notion of a power series to functions that have singularities.

2. Why is the Laurent series expansion useful?

The Laurent series expansion allows us to approximate complicated functions by simpler ones, making it easier to analyze and understand their behavior. It is also useful in solving complex equations and in finding residues of functions.

3. How is the Laurent series expansion different from a Taylor series?

A Taylor series expansion involves only positive exponents, while a Laurent series includes both positive and negative exponents. Additionally, a Taylor series must have a center point where it is evaluated, while a Laurent series can have a point of singularity.

4. What is a singular point in the context of a Laurent series expansion?

A singular point is a point at which a function is not defined or is undefined due to a division by zero. In a Laurent series expansion, the behavior of the function near a singular point can be described by the negative powers in the series.

5. How do you find the coefficients in a Laurent series expansion?

The coefficients in a Laurent series expansion can be found by using the formula c_n = (1/2πi) ∮ f(z)(z-z_0)ⁿ⁻¹ dz, where c_n is the coefficient, z_0 is the center point, and the integral is taken over a closed contour surrounding the singular point. Alternatively, the coefficients can be found by differentiating the function and evaluating at the center point.