Expand (1-2i)^10 without the Binomial Expansion Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of expanding (1-2i)^10 without using the Binomial Expansion Theorem. The individual mentions struggling to find the angle in polar form and receiving a hint to use trig identities. Another individual suggests breaking down the problem into smaller parts to make it more manageable. The conversation also includes a personal anecdote about improvement through practice and perseverance.
srfriggen

Homework Statement

Expand (1-2i)^10 without the Binomial Expansion Theorem

I know I need to put this in polar form and then it's simple from there, however, I am simply having a difficult time finding the angle. Drawing the complex number as a vector in the complex plane I get a right triangle with sides equal to 1 and 2, so the magnitude of the vector is √5. I can take the inverse tangent of 2/1 but I don't get an angle that is "easy" to work with, i.e. something familiar like -pi/3, -pi/6, etc. My professor did make it clear those would be the only angles we should be familiar with for these types of problems.

what am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would hate to call your professor a liar (perhaps mistaken would sound better?) but this is NOT an "easy" angle. The arctan of -2 is about -1.01 radians.

HallsofIvy said:
this is NOT an "easy" angle..
Sure it is. For any even integer n (e.g., 10), ##\cos(n\arctan(2))## is a rational, as is ##\sin(n\arctan(2))##.

D H said:
Sure it is. For any even integer n (e.g., 10), ##\cos(n\arctan(2))## is a rational, as is ##\sin(n\arctan(2))##.

using that knowledge I get:

√5*[cos(10arctan(2)) + i*(sin(10arctan(2))]

I'm not sure how to express this is a+bi form (sorry, I perhaps should have mentioned that it needed to be expressed in that form).

You forget to raise √5 to the tenth power, and you have a sign error in your angle.

After fixing those two issues, all you need to do is compute cos(10*arctan(2)) and sin(10*arctan(2)).

Hint #1: What are cos(2*arctan(2)) and sin(2*arctan(2))?
Hint #2: Use the fact that 10=2*5.

D H said:
You forget to raise √5 to the tenth power, and you have a sign error in your angle.

After fixing those two issues, all you need to do is compute cos(10*arctan(2)) and sin(10*arctan(2)).

Hint #1: What are cos(2*arctan(2)) and sin(2*arctan(2))?
Hint #2: Use the fact that 10=2*5.

I have now:

(√5)10[cos(5*2arctan(2)) - isin(5*2arctan(2)]

=(√5)10[cos(5*-0.6) - isin(5*-0.6)]

=(√5)10[cos(3) - isin(3)]

If this is correct I'm not sure how to proceed

You made a mistake going from step 1 to step 2. Use your trig identities.

D H said:
You made a mistake going from step 1 to step 2. Use your trig identities.

I've been trying to work this through for a while now and I just can't see any use for the trig identities (trig was always a weak point for me :confused: )

haven't found any trig identities on the web containing inverse tangent. And arctan isn't the same as 1/tan.

I'm sorry but I'm stumped.

You typically don't want to evaluate arctan(2) when doing these things. Do you know how to evaluate sin(arctan(2)) by itself?

srfriggen said:
I've been trying to work this through for a while now and I just can't see any use for the trig identities (trig was always a weak point for me :confused: )

haven't found any trig identities on the web containing inverse tangent. And arctan isn't the same as 1/tan.

I'm sorry but I'm stumped.

Sure there are. You just need to play around with your identities a little. For example:

##\sin^{2}x + \cos^{2}x = 1 \implies \sin x = \sqrt{1 - \cos^{2}x} \implies \sin(\arccos x) = \sqrt{1 - x^2}##.

Can you find a similar identity for ##\cos(k \arctan x)## and ##\sin(k \arctan x)##?

srfriggen said:
trig was always a weak point for me :confused:
Then perhaps you ought to try a different approach.

An alternative is to break the problem down into manageable parts. For example, use the fact that ##(1-2i)^{10} = (1-2i)^8(1-2i)^2##. Then use ##(1-2i)^8 = ((1-2i)^4)^2##, and then break that down even further. Eventually you'll have broken the problem down into small parts, each of which you can solve. Then build back up to where you finally find ##(1-2i)^{10}##.

Let me wade through these and find where you said that . . .

srfriggen said:
(trig was always a weak point for me :confused: )

I use to have a problem with my back-hand so I took it upon myself for a while to hit the ball mostly with my backhand. Soon I didn't have a problem with my backhand.

And that how it is in life in general: work on your problems, muscle-through them, the embarrassment, frustration, failures along the way, and soon, you too will be slammin' balls. :)

jackmell said:
Let me wade through these and find where you said that . . .

I use to have a problem with my back-hand so I took it upon myself for a while to hit the ball mostly with my backhand. Soon I didn't have a problem with my backhand.

And that how it is in life in general: work on your problems, muscle-through them, the embarrassment, frustration, failures along the way, and soon, you too will be slammin' balls. :)

I hear ya, and good advice. I actually bought a trig book to review all this stuff and during a move I lost it! Will have to hit amazon again lol

Related to Expand (1-2i)^10 without the Binomial Expansion Theorem

What is the Binomial Expansion Theorem?

The Binomial Expansion Theorem is a mathematical formula that allows us to expand expressions of the form (a + b)^n, where n is a positive integer. It is also known as the Binomial Theorem.

Why is it important to learn how to expand expressions without the Binomial Expansion Theorem?

While the Binomial Expansion Theorem is a useful tool for expanding expressions, it can be time-consuming and tedious to use for larger exponents. Learning how to expand expressions without using the theorem can save time and make calculations easier.

How can I expand (1-2i)^10 without using the Binomial Expansion Theorem?

To expand expressions without using the Binomial Expansion Theorem, we can use the concept of Pascal's Triangle and the properties of complex numbers. We can break down the expression into its real and imaginary parts and use the properties of complex numbers to simplify the calculations.

What are the steps for expanding (1-2i)^10 without using the Binomial Expansion Theorem?

The steps for expanding (1-2i)^10 without using the Binomial Expansion Theorem are as follows:

1. Write out the expression in its expanded form: (1-2i)(1-2i)(1-2i)(1-2i)(1-2i)(1-2i)(1-2i)(1-2i)(1-2i)(1-2i)
  2. Use the properties of complex numbers to simplify the expression, keeping track of the real and imaginary parts.
  3. Use Pascal's Triangle to identify the coefficients of each term.
  4. Combine like terms to get the final expanded form.

Can I use this method for expanding other complex expressions?

Yes, this method can be applied to expand any complex expression without using the Binomial Expansion Theorem. However, the steps may vary depending on the specific expression, so it is important to understand the properties of complex numbers and Pascal's Triangle.