Existence of Simultaneously Satisfying Sequences of Positive Integers

In summary, the problem asks to prove the existence of two infinite sequences, <an> and <bn>, of positive integers that satisfy four conditions: 1) the terms of <an> are strictly increasing, 2) the terms of <bn> are strictly between the terms of <an> and the squares of the terms of <an>, 3) (an-1) divides (bn-1) for all n>=1, and 4) (an^2-1) divides (bn^2-1) for all n>=1. The question also suggests that both sequences must consist of only odd numbers.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

Prove that there exists two infinite sequences <an> and <bn> of
positive integers such that the following conditions hold simultaneously:
i) 1<a1<a2<a3...;
ii) an<bn<(an)^2 for all n>=1
iii)(an) - 1 divides (bn) - 1 for all n>=1
iv)(an)^2 -1 divides (bn)^2 - 1 for all n>=1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I guess from this question is that both the series must be odd. Am I
right?

From iii) an iv) I deduce that bn+1 |mod| an+1 =0 for n>=1

Please help me further!

Physics news on Phys.org

I am very sorry I keyed in the wrong title for the post! MODS if you could please change it to Sequences?

Related to Existence of Simultaneously Satisfying Sequences of Positive Integers

1. What is a sequence?

A sequence is an ordered list of elements or objects. These elements can be numbers, letters, or any other type of object. Each element in the sequence has a specific position, called its index, and follows a specific pattern or rule.

2. How are sequences important in science?

Sequences are important in science because they help us understand patterns and relationships between elements. They are used in various fields of science, such as genetics, mathematics, and computer science, to analyze and interpret data.

3. What is the difference between a finite and infinite sequence?

A finite sequence has a limited number of elements, while an infinite sequence has an unlimited number of elements. In other words, a finite sequence has an endpoint, while an infinite sequence does not.

4. How are sequences generated?

Sequences can be generated in various ways, depending on the type of sequence. Some common methods include recursively defining the elements, using a formula or rule, or by listing out the elements in a specific order.

5. What is the importance of understanding the existence of sequences?

Understanding the existence of sequences is important because it allows scientists to make predictions and draw conclusions based on patterns and relationships observed in the sequence. It also helps in problem-solving and analyzing data in various scientific fields.