Existence of book on connection projective geometry and perspective?

In summary, projective geometry and perspective are closely linked as projective geometry provides the mathematical foundation for perspective drawing. This allows for the creation of more realistic and accurate 3-dimensional representations on a 2-dimensional surface. Understanding these concepts can also benefit us in other fields such as architecture, computer graphics, and engineering. While some basic knowledge in mathematics may be helpful, there are resources available for those without a strong mathematical background to understand the connection between projective geometry and perspective.
nonequilibrium
Hello,

I'm looking for a book on the connection between projective geometry and perspective. Many books vaguely mention perspective drawing as the historical reason for projective geometry, but they don't go into a deep connection between the two: they mostly just use it to argue the definition of a projective point.

But there must be a book that looks at the notions of projective mapping, projective coordinates, the mapping of n+2 points onto n+2 points in the n-dimensional projective space et cetera and link them to something having to do with perspective; this would create an intuitive notion for the concepts in projective geometry.

I asked my geometry professor for tips but it turns out he is also looking for such a book and hasn't found anything decent on it yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help?

Hello,

I would recommend "Perspective and Projective Geometry" by John Stillwell. This book delves into the connection between projective geometry and perspective drawing, exploring the historical development of projective geometry and its relationship to art and perspective. It also covers topics such as projective transformations and the projective geometry of conics. I believe this book will provide the intuitive understanding you are looking for. Additionally, "Perspective: A Practical Guide for Artists" by Rex Vicat Cole also touches on the connection between projective geometry and perspective in art, but may not go into as much depth as Stillwell's book. I hope this helps in your search for a comprehensive understanding of the relationship between projective geometry and perspective. Best of luck!

Related to Existence of book on connection projective geometry and perspective?

1. What is the connection between projective geometry and perspective?

The connection between projective geometry and perspective lies in the fact that projective geometry is a mathematical framework used to study perspective in art and architecture. Perspective drawing, which is the technique of creating the illusion of depth and distance on a flat surface, relies heavily on projective geometry principles.

2. How does projective geometry enhance our understanding of perspective?

Projective geometry provides a mathematical basis for understanding the principles of perspective drawing, such as vanishing points and convergence. It allows us to accurately represent 3-dimensional objects on a 2-dimensional surface, resulting in more realistic and precise perspective drawings.

3. Is there a specific book that covers both projective geometry and perspective?

Yes, there are several books that cover both projective geometry and perspective. One example is "Perspective and Projective Geometry" by John Stillwell, which delves into the connections between these two concepts and their applications in art and mathematics.

4. How can understanding projective geometry and perspective benefit us in other fields?

Understanding projective geometry and perspective can benefit us in various fields, including architecture, computer graphics, and engineering. It can also aid in problem-solving and spatial reasoning skills.

5. Do I need prior knowledge in mathematics to understand the connection between projective geometry and perspective?

Some basic knowledge in mathematics, such as geometry and algebra, may be helpful in understanding the connection between projective geometry and perspective. However, there are also resources available that explain these concepts in a more accessible way for those without a strong mathematical background.