Exercise with lagrange and derivatives

In summary, By using Lagrange's theorem, it can be shown that for a function f:[a,b]--->R that is continuous and differentiable in (a,b), there exists a t ##\in## (a,b) such that ##\frac{bf(a)-af(b)}{b-a}=f(t)-tf'(f)##. To simplify the equation and solve for t, the function g:[a,b]->R with $$g(x)=f(x)-f(a)-(x-a)\frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}$$ can be used, which has the properties g(a)=g(b)=0 and ##g'(x)=f'(x)-\frac{f(b
Felafel

Homework Statement

Being a>0 and f:[a,b]--->R continuos and differentiable in (a,b), show that there exists a t ##\in## (a,b) such that:
## \frac{bf(a)-af(b)}{b-a}=f(t)-tf'(f)##

The Attempt at a Solution

For lagrange's theorem, we have:
## \frac{f(a)-f(b)}{b-a}= -f'(t) ##

thought i could find f(t) from the equation ##f(x) = f(t) + f'(t)(x-t)+R_1(x-t)## ignoring R.
but then a "x" would appear and I don't know how to deal with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
To simplify the equation, consider g:[a,b]->R with
$$g(x)=f(x)-f(a)-(x-a)\frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}$$
This is chosen to get g(a)=g(b)=0 and ##g'(x)=f'(x)-\frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}##

Is there some t ∈ (a,b) such that ##0=g(t)-tg'(t)##?
Working backwards, you should be able to get the original equation.

sounds good, but I'm explicitly asked to use Lagrange's theorem

I think you can use that theorem to solve the reduced problem ;).

another hint? i don't get it, i always end up in a loop :(

Related to Exercise with lagrange and derivatives

1. What is the Lagrange method in exercise?

The Lagrange method, also known as the method of Lagrange multipliers, is a mathematical approach used to optimize a function subject to constraints. In exercise, this method is used to find the maximum or minimum value of a given function while considering certain restrictions or limitations.

2. How is the Lagrange method used in exercise?

In exercise, the Lagrange method is used to find the optimal values of variables such as time, distance, weight, etc. while considering constraints such as energy expenditure, range of motion, or physical limitations. This method allows for a systematic approach to optimizing exercises for maximum effectiveness.

3. What is the role of derivatives in exercise with Lagrange method?

Derivatives play a crucial role in the Lagrange method for exercise as they help determine the rate of change of a function. This rate of change is used to find the critical points, or the optimal values, of the function. Derivatives also help to identify where the function is increasing or decreasing, which is essential in optimizing exercise routines.

4. How does the Lagrange method benefit exercise routines?

The Lagrange method provides a systematic approach to optimizing exercise routines by considering constraints and finding the optimal values for variables. This method can help create more efficient and effective exercise routines that are tailored to an individual's specific needs and abilities.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Lagrange method in exercise?

While the Lagrange method is a powerful tool for optimizing exercises, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the function being optimized is continuous and differentiable, which may not always be the case in real-world exercise scenarios. Additionally, this method can become complex and time-consuming for more complicated exercises with multiple constraints.