Exercise in Probability - balls drawn from a box

In summary, the conversation is about a probability exercise involving choosing 20 balls at random with replacement from a box containing 10% red balls. The question is what is the probability of picking more than 3 red balls. The conversation discusses using the binomial distribution to find this probability and mentions a shortcut of finding 1 minus the sum of probabilities of picking 0, 1, 2, or 3 red balls.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! I need some help at the following exercise...

We have a box with balls and 10% of them are red. If we choose at random 20 balls with replacement, which is the probability to pick more than 3 red balls?

Thanks in advance!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Exercise in Probability

evinda said:

We have a box with balls and 10% of them are red. If we choose at random 20 balls with replacement, which is the probability to pick more than 3 red balls?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to MHB, evinda! :)

This is about a binomial distribution.
Do you have notes on that?

Can you say for starters what the probability on exactly 0 red balls is?

evinda said:

Thanks in advance!

Hi evinda,

Welcome to MHB! It seems to me this is the binomial distribution, but maybe it's not necessary to worry about that if you haven't been introduced to this distribution. How would you find the probability that all twenty balls are red?

I see that I like Serena has beaten me to a reply but I still want to say hello and welcome. :)

Jameson

I like Serena said:
Welcome to MHB, evinda! :)

This is about a binomial distribution.
Do you have notes on that?

Can you say for starters what the probability on exactly 0 red balls is?

The probability on exactly 0 re balls is P(X=0)={20 choose 0}(0.1)^0*(0.9)^(20-0)=(0.9)^20...

- - - Updated - - -

Jameson said:
Hi evinda,

Welcome to MHB! It seems to me this is the binomial distribution, but maybe it's not necessary to worry about that if you haven't been introduced to this distribution. How would you find the probability that all twenty balls are red?

I see that I like Serena has beaten me to a reply but I still want to say hello and welcome. :)

Jameson

The probability that all 20 balls are red is {20 choose 20}*(0.1)^20*(0.9)^(20-20)=0.1^20...Thank you very much! ;)

So you are familiar with binomial distribution, great! That will make this much easier to do. There is one "trick" you can use here to make this calculation much easier. Let $X$ be a random variable which represents the number of red balls drawn. \(\displaystyle P[X >3]=1-P[X \le 3]\). So instead of over 15 probabilities to calculate now you should be able to solve this through 4 calculations. Do you see how?

P(X>3)=1-P(X<=3)=1-(P(X=0)+P(X=1)+P(X=2)+P(X=3)), where P(X=i)={20 choose i}(0.1)^i*(0.9)^(20-i), i=0,1,2,3...Right?

Right! ;)

Ok,thanks! :p

Related to Exercise in Probability - balls drawn from a box

What is the concept of "Exercise in Probability - balls drawn from a box"?

The exercise in probability - balls drawn from a box is a mathematical concept that uses the principles of probability to calculate the chances of drawing certain colored balls from a box filled with different colored balls.

What is the importance of "Exercise in Probability - balls drawn from a box"?

This exercise is important because it helps to understand the fundamental principles of probability and how to apply them in real-world situations. It also helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

What are the key elements of "Exercise in Probability - balls drawn from a box"?

The key elements of this exercise include the total number of balls in the box, the number of balls of each color, and the number of balls drawn from the box.

What is the formula used in "Exercise in Probability - balls drawn from a box"?

The formula used in this exercise is P(E) = n(E) / n(S), where P(E) is the probability of an event, n(E) is the number of favorable outcomes, and n(S) is the total number of possible outcomes.

What are some real-life applications of "Exercise in Probability - balls drawn from a box"?

This exercise can be applied in various situations, such as predicting the chances of winning a lottery, calculating the probability of getting a certain card in a deck, or determining the likelihood of getting a specific outcome in a game of chance.