Choosing a ball at random from a randomly selected box

In summary, the probability of drawing a white ball from one of the two boxes is 7/12. This is calculated by taking into account the 50% probability of choosing either box and then adding the probabilities of drawing a white ball from each box.
Sapphireluna
I got this probability question as homework, but I got very confused as I didn't know if I should calculate the balls in the 2 boxes as whole or if I should calculate the probability of the first box then add the probability of the second. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.Here is the question:
There are 2 boxes, box A contains 20 white balls and 20 black balls, box B contains 10 white balls and 5 black balls. A box is chosen at random then a ball is taken at random from the chosen box, what is the probability that the ball is white?

First I thought, it should be the probability of box A + the probability of box B;
20/40 + 10/15 = 7/6
but then I thought it doesn't really make sense to me as this tells that I will always get a white ball?!

So I thought, I could do the probability of the whole lot;
30/55 = 6/11
this answer seems more reasonable, but then I was confused, as there are 2 boxes, so that the chances of a white ball being taken out of each ball should be different?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Help needed in this simple probability problem

Hello and welcome to MHB, Sapphireluna! (Wave)

I can see being tempted to approach the problem as if all the balls are in one big box:

\(\displaystyle P(\text{white})=\frac{30}{55}=\frac{6}{11}\)

However, we should approach it as follows:

\(\displaystyle P(\text{white})=P(\text{box 1 AND white})\,\text{OR}\,P(\text{box 2 AND white})=\frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac{20}{40}+\frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac{10}{15}=\frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{3}=\frac{7}{12}\)

You were on the right track with your first approach, however you didn't account for the fact that we have only a 50% probability of choosing either box.

Re: Help needed in this simple probability problem

MarkFL said:
Hello and welcome to MHB, Sapphireluna! (Wave)

I can see being tempted to approach the problem as if all the balls are in one big box:

\(\displaystyle P(\text{white})=\frac{30}{55}=\frac{6}{11}\)

However, we should approach it as follows:

\(\displaystyle P(\text{white})=P(\text{box 1 AND white})\,\text{OR}\,P(\text{box 2 AND white})=\frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac{20}{40}+\frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac{10}{15}=\frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{3}=\frac{7}{12}\)

You were on the right track with your first approach, however you didn't account for the fact that we have only a 50% probability of choosing either box.

Thank you very much!

1. What does it mean to choose a ball at random from a randomly selected box?

Choosing a ball at random from a randomly selected box means that you are selecting a ball without any specific criteria or pattern from a box that was also selected randomly. This means that every ball in the box has an equal chance of being selected.

2. Why is it important to choose a ball at random from a randomly selected box?

Choosing a ball at random from a randomly selected box is important because it ensures fairness and avoids bias in the selection process. It also allows for more accurate and representative results in experiments or studies.

3. How do you choose a ball at random from a randomly selected box?

To choose a ball at random from a randomly selected box, you can use a number generator or a random selection tool. Another method is to mix the balls in the box thoroughly and then blindly select one without looking.

4. Can you use this method for any type of box or selection process?

Yes, this method can be used for any type of box or selection process as long as it is truly random. It is important to ensure that all elements have an equal chance of being selected in order for the process to be truly random.

5. What are the potential limitations of choosing a ball at random from a randomly selected box?

The potential limitations of this method include human error in the selection process and the possibility of not having a truly random selection. It is also important to note that this method does not guarantee that the selected ball will be representative of the entire box or population.