Exercise about the concept of functions

In summary, the exercises are related to functions. They are exercises to help someone understand functions better.
Nich6ls
Hi everyone! =) . I'm having some issues with this exercises, It's about functions. I remember the basic geometrics formulas and how to get the area and perimeter of a square or a circle but I don't get it. I need an explanation.

1. Express the area A of a square as a function of (a) the length of one side x; (b) the perimeter p.
2.Express the area A of a circle as a function of its circumference c.

Answers:

(a) \[ A= x^2 \] (b)\[ A= P^2/16 \]
\[ A= c^2/4π \]

Thank you, stay safe! =)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
\(\displaystyle A = x^2\) and \(\displaystyle P = 4x\). So solve for x and put it into A.

Now do the same for \(\displaystyle A = \pi r^2\) and \(\displaystyle C = 2 \pi r\).

-Dan

topsquark said:
\(\displaystyle A = x^2\) and \(\displaystyle P = 4x\). So solve for x and put it into A.

Now do the same for \(\displaystyle A = \pi r^2\) and \(\displaystyle C = 2 \pi r\).

-Dan

Those are the answers the book gives, how did you get to them? An explanation I need.

Nich6ls said:
Those are the answers the book gives, how did you get to them? An explanation I need.
Are you asking about the area formulas? What's the area of a square with a side x? It's defined as \(\displaystyle A = x^2\). What's the perimeter? It's a "line" P = x + x + x + x = 4x long. For the area and circumference of a circle, the formulas are as I gave above. These are known formulas and if someone were to ask how to explain them you would either have to say they are definitions, or that you will have to wait until a "higher" Math level has been reached.
Square: \(\displaystyle A = x^2\), \(\displaystyle P = 4x\).

Circle: \(\displaystyle A = \pi r^2\), \(\displaystyle C = 2 \pi r\).

Take these formulas as givens. For the square solve the perimeter equation for x in terms of P and sub into the area equation. For the circle solve the circumference equation for r in terms of C and sub into the area equation.

-Dan

topsquark said:
Are you asking about the area formulas? What's the area of a square with a side x? It's defined as \(\displaystyle A = x^2\). What's the perimeter? It's a "line" P = x + x + x + x = 4x long. For the area and circumference of a circle, the formulas are as I gave above. These are known formulas and if someone were to ask how to explain them you would either have to say they are definitions, or that you will have to wait until a "higher" Math level has been reached.
Square: \(\displaystyle A = x^2\), \(\displaystyle P = 4x\).

Circle: \(\displaystyle A = \pi r^2\), \(\displaystyle C = 2 \pi r\).

Take these formulas as givens. For the square solve the perimeter equation for x in terms of P and sub into the area equation. For the circle solve the circumference equation for r in terms of C and sub into the area equation.

-Dan

Thank you Dan, what I don't understand is how these exercises are related to functions. I understand that it's something that depends on something else, but I'm not sure, sorry I just started with this today.

1. What is a function in the context of exercise?

A function is a mathematical concept that relates an input value to an output value. In the context of exercise, a function can represent the relationship between a specific type of exercise and the resulting physical benefits.

2. How do you graph a function related to exercise?

To graph a function related to exercise, you would typically plot the input values (such as time or intensity of exercise) on the x-axis and the corresponding output values (such as heart rate or calories burned) on the y-axis. This can help visualize the relationship between the two variables.

3. Can a function represent the effects of different types of exercise?

Yes, a function can represent the effects of different types of exercise. For example, a function could show the relationship between running distance and the resulting decrease in body fat percentage, or between weightlifting repetitions and the resulting increase in muscle mass.

4. What is the difference between a linear and nonlinear function in the context of exercise?

A linear function in the context of exercise would have a constant rate of change, meaning that the input and output values would change at a consistent rate. A nonlinear function, on the other hand, would have a varying rate of change, meaning that the input and output values would change at different rates. This could represent the effects of different types of exercise on the body.

5. How can understanding functions help with creating a personalized exercise plan?

Understanding functions can help with creating a personalized exercise plan by allowing you to see the relationship between different types of exercise and their effects on the body. This can help you tailor your exercise routine to meet your specific fitness goals and needs.