Examples of Media hype of technical issues

• Thread starter .Scott
  • Start date
In summary, EM emissions from SpaceX's Starlink satellites are interfering with radio astronomy, but the interference is not a serious problem.
.Scott
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Sometimes a news story just isn't much of a news story without some serious spin.

In this case, the basic story is that EM emissions from the electronic circuitry on satellites is measurable from the Earth's surface and is likely to interfere with radio astronomy.
These EM emission are at low frequencies and very low power. They do not violate any EMC regulatory requirements. In fact, they don't really fall under the definitions of "EMI" or "Radiative Emissions" (although they are radiative emissions).
So, you might want to title such an article "Satellite EM emissions a problem for Radio Astronomy". But does that title really grab you?

How about this: "SpaceX's Starlink Satellites Are Leaking Radiation, Scientists Confirm"

Of course, you're thinking "Leaking Radiation", hmmm, electric shaver, laptop, auto ignition system, but certainly not Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, Fukushima. Right?

• Haha
Likes russ_watters
Physics news on Phys.org
What I read is that, specifically, they are leaking radiation in the protected frequencies of astronomical sensors. And it's enough to interfere with earth-based instruments. And that's a problem that will certainly get worse as we increase the constellations of sats in our skies.

DaveC426913 said:
What I read is that, specifically, they are leaking radiation in the protected frequencies of astronomical sensors.
The protection only extends to the immediate area of the telescope.
Since the satellites are outside those boundaries, the frequencies are not protected.
So, the satellites fall in the same category as your electric razor.
Of course, there is a valid point. As Radio Astronomy becomes more sensitive and satellites become more numerous, there is a growing resource sharing issue..

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes russ_watters
Leaking? Can't you just put a lid on it?
(I bet people think this about Elon Musk all the time)

Likes russ_watters
I really don't think there is a problem.

The satellite will spend less than a second crossing the beam of the antenna. That is nothing new.

Satellites are nearby point sources, so signals will not correlate during interferometry.

Likes .Scott and berkeman
Back