Example of x0 in the kinematic equation for displacement

In summary, x0 can have a value that is not zero if the origin of the coordinate system is chosen differently.
e-zero
In the kinematic equation x = x0 + v0 * t + .5 * a * t^2, can someone give me an example in which x0 has a value that is not zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi e-zero! ##x_{0}## is just the initial position of the test particle that you are looking at the trajectory of under constant acceleration; similarly ##v_{0}## is just the initial velocity of the trajectory. You can choose them to be whatever you want them to be. I can for example drop my object from a height of 5 meters from the ground, starting at rest, in which case ##x_{0} = 5 \text{m}## , ##v_{0} = 0 \text{m /s}## , and (ignoring air resistance) the equations of motion become ##x(t) = 5 \text{m} - \frac{1}{2}gt^{2}##. Hope that helps friend!

Ok, is there an example where both x and x0 are both not zero?

##x(t)## is a function of time so it will change its value at every instant of time. In the example I gave above, ##x(t)## is the height of the particle from the ground so it will be non-zero up until the first time the particle hits the ground.

Can you give an example that does not involve vertical, but horizontal motion in which x and x0 are both not zero?

Sure! Choose an origin and take a particle located 5 meters horizontally from that origin and give it an initial kick of 5 meters per second in the horizontal direction.

Ok. I was just confusing myself. It all depends on the question if you should take x0 to be zero or not.

Indeed! Good luck with your studies friend :)

Thanks

e-zero said:
Ok. I was just confusing myself. It all depends on the question if you should take x0 to be zero or not.

Not really. It depends on where you want the origin of your system of coordinates to be. In WBN's example, he chose the ground as origin. That's why x_0 in his case was 5m. For the same example he could have chosen its origin 5 meters above the ground, in which case x_0 would have been 0.

Ok, I see.

Related to Example of x0 in the kinematic equation for displacement

1. What is the meaning of x0 in the kinematic equation for displacement?

x0 represents the initial position or starting point in the kinematic equation for displacement. It is the position at which an object begins its motion.

2. Why is x0 necessary in the kinematic equation for displacement?

Without x0, we would not have a reference point to measure the displacement of an object. It helps us to understand the change in position of an object over time.

3. How is x0 different from x in the kinematic equation for displacement?

x0 is the initial position while x is the final position of an object. This means that x0 is the position at the beginning of the motion, while x is the position at the end of the motion.

4. Can x0 be negative in the kinematic equation for displacement?

Yes, x0 can be negative. This simply means that the initial position of an object is behind the reference point or starting point.

5. Is x0 always required in the kinematic equation for displacement?

No, x0 is not always required. It depends on the specific problem being solved. In some cases, the starting position may not be relevant to the calculation of displacement.