Examining the Impact of "Yellow Journalism"

• Thread starter Imparcticle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impact
In summary: Yellow journalism was influential in exacerbating the tensions between the US and Spain leading up to the war, and it played a role in the US decision to enter the war. For example, Hearst manipulated the news to make it appear as if Spain was doing terrible things to Cuban citizens, which helped to build public support for war. Additionally, the US was interested in invading Cuba because of its strategic location - it was a way to expand the US' economic and political presence in the world. While it's not clear that yellow journalism alone caused the US to go to war, it was definitely a contributing factor.
Imparcticle
Hi
Can someone edit my intro for my history essay? This is a very very very very...very important essay so please be as [productively] critical as possible.

this is the prompt:
"To what extent did "Yellow Journalism" influence the United States decision to declare war on Spain?"
(this question is in reference to the spanish american war)

my intro:
Following the 1870’s the United States shifted from focusing on internal affairs such as Reconstruction to furthering its international presence(SAT US, 1). This was motivated by a few major factors; political, economic, social influences. The United States was a relatively new nation, and so it needed to be noticed as a strong power economically and politically. In addition, the success of the American form of government encouraged sentiments of Anglo-Saxonism to arise in the U.S. In particular, such sentiments led Americans to believe that they (Europeans included) were superior and saw the unfortunate and meager conditions of other non European/American countries as evidence of their “inferiority” (McSherry, 10). These sentiments compounded with the fervent interest in expanding economically and being a strong political power led to the solution of adopting imperialist policies. Imperialism expanded the nation’s economic market, political presence on an international level and allowed Americans to help the “inferior” peoples of the Americas. The political and economic interests to expand were strong enough to lead the U.S. into investing millions in sugar plantations in Cuba (Background, 1 ). During this time Cuba was a territory of Spain. Cuba and Spain were constantly at war with one another for the independence of Cuba. American journalists took this fact and altered much of the truth by adding on several untruthful accounts of many horrors done to the Cubans by the Spanish. Eventually, after the explosion of an American battle ship in a Cuban harbor, the U.S. declared war on Spain.

thanx

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome back! :smile: I can't help with the history part, but I'll go over it tonight and offer what I can in the way of grammar and composition suggestions. Nice start.

Yes! This is exactly the topic I tell all of these people that need topics to write about. Finally someone is doing it. I love you, Particle. (Don't have the time right now to help you, though.)

thanks guys!

I'll post a new intro because I really don't like the one I posted. Notice that the prompt is yellow journalism and I didn't mention it until the last sentence. But, I would like feedback on how to write a good intro. and MLA format.

loseyourname said:
Yes! This is exactly the topic I tell all of these people that need topics to write about. Finally someone is doing it. I love you, Particle. (Don't have the time right now to help you, though.)

You tell people to write about yellow journalism? :confused: may I ask why?:rolleyes:

The explosion of the USS Maine has never really been solved. Hearst, the living embodyment of yellow journalism (interesting sidebar: look up why it was called that) trumpeted in his newspaper (get name) that Spain had done it and the US must go to war over it. He did his best to lash up public war fervor.

Did this cause the war? By itself probably not. All those factors you mentioned in your introduction weighed in too, plus the ego of Teddy Roosevelt. But yellow journalism certainly was a factor, and moreover it was a well-perceived factor. Almost immediately commentators started discussing the very question you are writing on, any many of them blamed yellow journalism without considering other factors.

The absence of WMD has never really been solved. .
manipulation to get into a war with a perceived weak opponent
for sugar plantations read oilfields

Imparcticle said:
You tell people to write about yellow journalism? :confused: may I ask why?:rolleyes:

Specifically as it regards entry into the Spanish-American War, partly because of the parallels to today and partly just because I find it to be a fascinating series of events that don't seem to get much attention.

Related to Examining the Impact of "Yellow Journalism"

1. What is yellow journalism?

Yellow journalism is a type of sensationalized and exaggerated news reporting that aims to attract readers through sensational headlines and stories, rather than focusing on factual and objective reporting.

2. What is the impact of yellow journalism on society?

The impact of yellow journalism on society can be significant, as it can contribute to the spread of misinformation and biased reporting. It can also create a sense of fear and panic among the public, as well as damage the credibility of the media.

3. How has yellow journalism evolved over time?

Yellow journalism has evolved over time with the advancement of technology and the rise of social media. While it was originally associated with newspapers in the late 19th century, it now encompasses various forms of media such as television, online news sites, and social media platforms.

4. What role does competition play in the rise of yellow journalism?

Competition among media outlets can play a significant role in the rise of yellow journalism. In order to attract more readers or viewers, some outlets may resort to sensationalized and exaggerated reporting, which can lead to the spread of misinformation and biased news.

5. How can we combat the impact of yellow journalism?

To combat the impact of yellow journalism, it is important for individuals to be critical consumers of news and to fact-check information before sharing it. It is also important for media outlets to prioritize factual and objective reporting over sensationalism and to hold themselves accountable for the information they share with the public.