Exam Prep Part 2: Resolving Complex Integrals

In summary, we were asked to evaluate a definite integral involving complex functions. By using the definition of limits and the properties of trigonometric and logarithmic functions, we were able to rewrite the integral in terms of a limit and simplify it to show that the integral does not converge. We also briefly discuss using a system to determine zeros in a complex equation, such as charting key points and guessing the zeros.
bmanmcfly
Now that I'm finally getting the hang of some of these integration techniques with complex functions, I've come across another hole. In my game here.

That comes with the concept of resolving the definite integral of these complex functions.
What happens is that they fluctuate and so can create issues where the y would cross the x-axis and so needs to be handled differently.

So, is there a way, short of "feeling" to know where the zeroes are going to be? Maybe some trick with Trig and log functions?

Next, on the same vein, how do you handle definitive integrals where on of the extremes lands on a limit of a portion of the function...
from practice exercises, I arrived at the solution:
\(\displaystyle =4(\sin(\frac{\pi}{2})+\ln(\abs(\sin(\frac{\pi}{2})))-(\sin(0)+\ln(\abs(\sin(0)))))\)
(where abs is supposed to mean absolute value...

Thanks in advance for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I take it you were asked to evaluate:

\(\displaystyle I=4\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\cos(x)+\cot(x)\,dx\)

This is an improper integral, and I would write:

\(\displaystyle I=4\lim_{t\to0}\left(\int_t^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\cos(x)+\cot(x)\,dx \right)\)

\(\displaystyle I=4\lim_{t\to0}\left(1+\ln\left|\csc(t) \right| \right)=\infty\)

We find the integral does not converge.

MarkFL said:
I take it you were asked to evaluate:

\(\displaystyle I=4\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\cos(x)+\cot(x)\,dx\)

This is an improper integral, and I would write:

\(\displaystyle I=4\lim_{t\to0}\left(\int_t^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\cos(x)+\cot(x)\,dx \right)\)

\(\displaystyle I=4\lim_{t\to0}\left(1+\ln\left|\csc(t) \right| \right)=\infty\)

We find the integral does not converge.

Yes, that was what the equation simplified as... But you lost me a bit here... I get the putting this in terms of the limit, but how does
lead to
For some reason, I'm just not seeing it at the moment.
I get the finding the limit, was that because you used the definition of the limits ?
I'm just confused since this is the first time I've seen this method used. Did you just divid by cos?

But in a more general sense, is there a system to determine zeros in a complex equation (trig and log, whereas if you have a sin*cos situation or whatever?

Ik ow each cycle is 2pi, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the function will cross to zero. The closest I've been doing is just by charting a few key points and guessing the zeros.

I was a bit sloppy with my notation. Let's go back to:

Now we know:

\(\displaystyle \int_a^b \cos(x)\,dx=\sin(b)-\sin(a)\).

We also know that:

\(\displaystyle \int_a^b\cot(x)\,dx=\ln|sin(b)|-\ln|\sin(a)|=\ln\left|\frac{\sin(b)}{\sin(a)} \right|\)

So integrating term by term, we find:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\cos(x)+\cot(x)\,dx=\left(\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{2} \right)-\sin(t) \right)+\left(\ln\left|\frac{\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{2} \right)}{\sin(t)} \right| \right)=\)

\(\displaystyle 1-\sin(t)+\ln\left|\frac{1}{\sin(t)} \right|=1-\sin(t)+\ln|\csc(t)|\)

and so:

\(\displaystyle I=\lim_{t\to0}\left(1-\sin(t)+\ln|\csc(t)| \right)=\infty\)

I left off the original coefficient of 4, as this did not impact the problem.

Related to Exam Prep Part 2: Resolving Complex Integrals

1. What are complex integrals?

Complex integrals are integrals that involve complex numbers in the integrand and/or limits of integration. They are an important tool in mathematics and physics for solving problems involving complex functions.

2. Why is it important to resolve complex integrals?

Resolving complex integrals allows us to evaluate integrals involving complex numbers and functions, which are often encountered in real-world problems. By resolving these integrals, we can obtain valuable information about the behavior and properties of complex functions.

3. How do you resolve complex integrals?

The process of resolving complex integrals involves using techniques such as contour integration, Cauchy's residue theorem, and the Cauchy-Riemann equations. These methods allow us to simplify complex integrals into more manageable forms that can be evaluated using traditional integration techniques.

4. What are some common applications of complex integrals?

Complex integrals have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to solve problems involving differential equations, signal processing, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics, among others.

5. What are some tips for preparing for complex integral exams?

Some tips for preparing for complex integral exams include practicing a variety of problems, understanding the underlying concepts and techniques, and reviewing key formulas and theorems. It is also helpful to work through past exams and seek help from a tutor or professor if needed.