Projectile motion baseball problem

In summary, the conversation is about a projectile motion problem involving a baseball being hit at ground level and reaching its maximum height after 3 seconds. The problem also involves the ball clearing a fence 2.5 seconds after reaching its max height and the goal is to find the max height, height of the fence, and the distance beyond the fence where the ball strikes the ground. The conversation includes different methods and equations used to solve the problem, with the final solution being a max height of 44.1 meters, a fence height of 13.48875 meters, and a distance beyond the fence of 8.86 meters.
missrikku
[SOLVED] projectile motion problem

Hello guys,

This particular problem has been giving me a headache. I can't see how to figure out this problem w/o being given an inital angle. Here it is:

A baseball is hit at ground level. The ball reaches its max height above ground level 3 s after being hit. Then 2.5 s after reaching its max height, the ball barely clears a fence that is 97.5 m from where it was hit. Assume the ground is level. a) What max height above ground level is reached by the ball? b) How high is the fence? c) How far beyond the fence does the ball strike the ground?

Ok, to start out I drew the picture and labeled it and everything. Then..

a)
Y-Yo = Vt - 1/2 at^2
max height = m = 0(3) - 1/2 (-9.8)(3)^2 = 44.1 m

Ok, this is where I get stuck. I'm thinking about using the trajectory equation, to get the height of the fence.

y = (tan@)x - (gx^2)/(2(Vocos@))^2

I'm thinking that y = the height of the fence and x is the distance to the fence. So, x = 97.5 m.

But I don't know how to get the angle, @!

It's been driving me nuts because I tried different ways, but kept getting answers that didn't match.

Here's some of what I tried:

X = Xo + Vt - 1/2 at^2
X = 0 - 1/2 (-9.8)(3)^2 = 44.1m

Then since X = 44.1= Y

I did (44.1^2 + 44.1^2)^(1/2) = 62.4 m

Then sin@ = 44.1/62.4 --> @ = about 45 degrees

Is that correct?

How should I approach the rest of the problem?

Thanks much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to find the horizontal velocity and vertical velocity first before you try anything else.

Then you can use the elapsed time to reach the maximum height and the horizontal velocity to find the total distance travelled.

NOTE: The initial velocity is NOT zero.

Ahhh...haven't done these problems in a while. *Feels nostalgic*

Here's how I did your problem:

a) Max height of ball.

Acceleration due to gravity = -9.81ms-2
Initial vertical velocity = unknown
End vertical velocity = 0
Time taken to reach end velocity = 3s

Using v = u + at,
0 = u + (-9.81)*3
u = 29.43ms-1

Then, using v^2 = u^2 + 2as
s = 44.145m (as you got)

b) Height of fence.

Note: Problem is symmetrical.
Therefore height of ball at t = 0.5s after hit is same as 5.5s after hit.

s = unknown
u = 29.43ms-1
t = 0.5s
a = -9.81ms-2

Using s = ut + 0.5at^2
S = 13.48875m

c) Distance beyond fence.

Note again: Problem is symmetrical.

So distance = 0.5*17.72 = 8.86m

Tyro said:
c) Distance beyond fence.
Note again: Problem is symmetrical.
So distance = 0.5*17.72 = 8.86m

Hello, and sorry for upping an old thread.
Could someone please tell me where the 17.72 is coming from in the above calculation ?
I've spent the past hour trying to figure it out but I couldn't find an answer.

Thank you very much in advance :smile:

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, where the only force acting on the object is gravity. This results in a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How does projectile motion apply to baseball?

In baseball, the ball is thrown or hit with a certain initial velocity and angle, and then follows a parabolic path until it reaches the ground or is caught. This is an example of projectile motion.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a baseball?

The initial velocity, angle of release, air resistance, and gravity all affect the trajectory of a baseball. Wind and air density can also play a role.

4. How can we calculate the trajectory of a baseball?

To calculate the trajectory of a baseball, we can use equations from the laws of motion, such as the kinematic equations, to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the ball at any given time. We also need to take into account the factors mentioned in the previous question.

5. Why is understanding projectile motion important in baseball?

Understanding projectile motion is important in baseball because it allows players to predict the path of the ball and make strategic decisions, such as where to position themselves to catch the ball. It also helps coaches and trainers to analyze and improve a player's throwing or hitting technique.