Exact Description of Properties: Spin, etc.

In summary, the experimenters observed that electrons were deflected either up or down when moving through a particular magnetic field. This led them to give the particles different labels, such as 'up quark', 'down quark', and 'strange quark'.
abrogard
I'm looking for a description of properties such as colour and spin.

Because we are warned these words do not describe the reality of the particles. i.e. an electron is not 'spinning' up or down.

They are just handy words. Labels. So quarks are not 'up' or 'down'.

When I read that electrons moving through a particular magnetic field are deflected either up or down then I understood all that I wanted to know.

I'm looking for similar simple explanations of what experimentalists have found that led them to eventually give these labels.

Do I make myself clear? I realize I maybe don't. I just want that little bit more background or explanation of things.

Is there a place where I can read that?

Physics news on Phys.org
While you're at it, you can also ask for more everyday properties like mass and charge !

This isn't to give you a corny answer: if you realize that the properties you mention do not really differ fundamentally from those more familiar ones, you gain an insight: properties are assigned to help us describe behaviour in nicely compact formulas. No more, no less.

:smile: disappointed ? or enlightened ?

Not disappointed except in myself. I am a poor communicator and I've demonstrated it once more. I don't put my questions correctly.. Always reminds me of the old saw "Know the answer? I don't even know the question."

I'll try putting it this way:

What did the experimenters observe that gave rise to knowledge labelled as, for instance 'Up quark', 'Down quark', 'Strange quark' ?

Not to confuse things but to try to further elucidate:

In the same way as experimenters observed the branching of a flow of electrons through a special kind of magnetic field so's they collected at two locations, one above the other - giving rise to the notion of 'spin up' and 'spin down'.

And then an explanation could go further by describing how the 'spin' idea itself is based on an analogy of spinning particles having a magnetic field etc... culminating perhaps in describing how this is actually not a valid analogy... but all beyond what I'm asking for. Just the first bit would do me.

p.s. mass and charge I can just about figure out for myself, I think. Kick a rock like Sam Johnson or just touch my own body, there's mass. Generate electricity and note the varying strengths of the electricity generated, there's charge. Similarly I've been familiar all my life with magnets, haven't we all, so there's magnetic field and force.

Well, now that you yourself have come up with a nice link between the 'spin' quantum number and the perception of a spinning particle (that, for all we know has size zero...):

In another century the appearance of more and more kinds of 'elementary' particles led to the emergence of the notion of isotopic spin as " 'not spin' and not an angular momentum, but describable with a similar formalism". Beautiful models with symmetries (and -breaking), multiplet structures, conservation laws (with their violations, of course) and what have you.

And nowadays the 'up' and 'down' quark names remind us of all that. But I don't think there is much 'up'-ness to the up quark, or 'down'-ness to the down quark! And sure enough, when hadronic particles appeared that didn't fit this, that was strange ! Another quantum number saw the light!
By the time up, down and strange were not enough any more, physics was in need of new names for the new flavours and didn't bother too much about analogies with acrobatics of spinning billiard balls.

I grant you that what I'm describing is an experimenter's view, so I hope to be corrected by folks in the know:
we haven't got a clue what it actually is that we are describing so exactly, but describe it we we sure can, and most of the time darned accurately!

And your communication skills are just fine :wink: as far as I can estimate.

--

Related to Exact Description of Properties: Spin, etc.

1. What is spin in the context of particle physics?

Spin is a fundamental property of particles, along with mass and charge. It refers to the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle, which can be thought of as its inherent rotation.

2. How is spin measured and described?

Spin is measured in units of ħ (pronounced "h-bar"), which is the reduced Planck constant. It is described by a quantum number, either +1/2 or -1/2, corresponding to the direction of its spin.

3. What are the implications of a particle's spin?

The spin of a particle has important implications for its behavior in certain situations. For example, particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons, follow the rules of quantum mechanics and have a wave-like nature. Particles with integer spin, such as photons, behave more like classical particles.

4. Can spin change or be altered?

Spin is a fundamental property and cannot be changed or altered. However, it can be affected by external forces, such as magnetic fields, which can cause the direction of the spin to change.

5. How does spin relate to the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two identical fermions (particles with half-integer spin) can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. This is because fermions have a property called "spin-statistics," which means that their spin determines their behavior in a quantum system.