Understanding Electron Spin: Clarifying Misconceptions

In summary, electron spin is not actually spinning, but rather it is a quantum number that can be either up or down. The value is not determined until measured, and the measurement forces the electron to choose a direction. Once measured on one axis, the spin on other axes is in a superposition state. It is not known what the result would be if measured on another axis, but it is not the same as not knowing the state at all.
bland
I just want to clear up something about electron spin to see if I have it correctly. As far as I understand it is it not really spinning but it's just a convenient word and what it denotes is the the particular quantum number is either up or down. Now I think I've got it right to say that this value is not determined until it is measured and the measurement then forces the electron to choose either up or down on the axis which it is measured.

I further understand it that once the spin is measured on a particular axis that the spin on the other two axes cannot be known. What I am not sure of is if an electron has 'spin' on three different axes at once but only one can be measured and therefore known at one time. Or if it in fact it only ever has spin on a single axis and whatever axis is measured the electron then becomes either spin up or down on that axis.

I hope that is clear with regards to my question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a look at the "Binney's interpretation of Violation of Bell Inequalities" thread...

The discussion there covers the question of how the axes relate to the measurement.

I hope this helps:

bland said:
I just want to clear up something about electron spin to see if I have it correctly. As far as I understand it is it not really spinning but it's just a convenient word and what it denotes is the the particular quantum number is either up or down

Quantum spin is quantised spin angular momentum in analogy with classical mechanics:
https://faculty.washington.edu/seattle/physics227/reading/reading-24-25.pdf

Its like the quantum analogue of any classical thing such as momentum - its not really describable in classical terms.

Thanks
Bill

I wouldn't say that measuring the spin on one axis implies not knowing the spin on other axes. Rather, measuring the spin in one axis implies that the spin is in a superposition state on other axes. You don't know what you would get if you measured on another axis, projecting to a particular eigenstate, but, without measuring, you do know that it is in a superposition state, which is totally different from not knowing the state at all.

Related to Understanding Electron Spin: Clarifying Misconceptions

1. What is electron spin?

Electron spin is a fundamental property of an electron that describes its intrinsic angular momentum. It is often referred to as a spinning motion, but it is actually a quantum mechanical property that does not have a classical analogy.

2. How is electron spin represented?

Electron spin is represented by a quantum number, denoted by the symbol "s". It can have two possible values: +1/2 or -1/2. These values correspond to the two possible spin orientations of an electron, either "spin up" or "spin down".

3. Why is electron spin important?

Electron spin plays a crucial role in many fundamental processes in physics, such as chemical bonding, magnetism, and quantum computing. It also helps explain the stability of atoms, as the opposing spins of paired electrons cancel out their magnetic moments.

4. How is electron spin measured?

Electron spin can be measured using various techniques, such as electron spin resonance, nuclear magnetic resonance, and scanning tunneling microscopy. These methods rely on the interaction between the electron's spin and an external magnetic field.

5. Can electron spin be changed?

No, electron spin is an intrinsic property of an electron and cannot be changed. It is a fundamental quantum mechanical property that is conserved in all interactions. However, it can be manipulated and controlled in certain systems, such as in spintronics for information storage and processing.