Evolutionary Game Theory question

In summary, the conversation is about a question that includes an image. The person is able to solve Q2.3 and get the payoff matrix for V=4 and C=6, but has trouble with Q2.4a and Q2.4b. They use a normalized matrix to rewrite the equations for an ESS and find that there are no interior ESS's. However, this contradicts Q2.4c which claims that the only ESS is the pure strategy B. The person is seeking help with their solution.
kidsmoker

Homework Statement

Quite a long intro to the question so I thought it easier to include it as an image:

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/7264/78941753.jpg
http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/7780/39557949.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I can do Q2.3 and get the payoff matrix given when V=4 and C=6.

For Q2.4a I get

[tex]E_{H,x}=-x_{H}+4x_{D}+x_{B}[/tex]
[tex]E_{D,x}=2x_{D}+x_{B}[/tex]
[tex]E_{B,x}=-0.5x_{H}+3x_{D}+2x_{B}[/tex].

For Q2.4b I normalize the payoff matrix to get

[tex]\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
0 & 2 & -0.5 \\
1 & 0 & -1 \\
0.5 & 1 & 0 \end{array} \right)\][/tex]

Now comes the problems.

For an ESS we must have

[tex]E_{H,x}=E_{D,x}=E_{B,x}[/tex] (*)

By using the normalized matrix we can rewrite these as

[tex]E_{H,x}=2x_{D}-0.5x_{B}[/tex]
[tex]E_{D,x}=x_{H}-x_{B}[/tex]
[tex]E_{B,x}=0.5x_{H}+x_{D}[/tex].

Let x=(h,d,b) be our interior ESS, then by (*) we have

2d - 0.5b = 0.5h + d and h - b = 0.5h + d .

The first of these can be rearranged to give h=2d-b while the second can be rearranged to give h=2d+2b. Clearly these can only both be satisfied when b=0. But this contradicts the fact that x=(h,d,b) is an interior ESS. Hence there can be no interior ESS's.

Now that seemed correct to me, but it doesn't tie-in with Q2.4c. This question claims that the only ESS is the pure strategy B. By considering the H-D subgame I get an ESS at (2/3,1/3,0).

Assuming the question is written correctly, where am I going wrong?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? :-(

Related to Evolutionary Game Theory question

1. What is evolutionary game theory?

Evolutionary game theory is a mathematical framework used to study how social behaviors, such as cooperation and competition, evolve in a population over time.

2. How is evolutionary game theory different from traditional game theory?

Traditional game theory focuses on the outcome of a single game, while evolutionary game theory looks at how strategies change and evolve over multiple generations.

3. What are some applications of evolutionary game theory?

Evolutionary game theory has been used in various fields, including biology, economics, and sociology, to study the evolution of social behaviors and decision-making strategies.

4. What is the "fitness" concept in evolutionary game theory?

Fitness refers to the reproductive success of an individual or strategy in a population. In evolutionary game theory, strategies that result in higher fitness are more likely to be passed on to future generations.

5. Can evolutionary game theory be applied to human behavior?

Yes, evolutionary game theory can be used to study and understand human behavior, as humans also engage in social interactions and decision-making that can be modeled using game theory. However, it is important to note that human behavior is complex and influenced by various factors, so evolutionary game theory is just one tool for understanding it.